Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #1 
kaykay1295

Smile new crowntail beta, i'd apriciate advice!thanks!

Hey, I justt got a new Beta. I'ts a Crowntail. I bought it at Wal-Mart and road it home on the bus, I'm slightly concerned because its been hovering around 100 for the past week and there is a 10 min walk from the bus stop to my house. He's in the 1 gallon bowl now I baught BettaMin and Freezedried Blood Worms. Also two water conditioners ones a pelet that dissolves in the water in a seltzer like fashion and the other is drops. I've put the pellet in but am reluctant to put in the drops also for fear of putting in too many things. I have two TINY other fish in there too. My sister demanded I take them. Their the babys of some of her fish she has a smaller tank than me with about 20 fish in it(this upset me to no end but will not listen to a word i say on the subject) and never cleans it I'm the one who usualy feeds them. So of course I took some of her fish! I have named my Beta Kaeden, he's blue and white with the white being pretty dominant( and when I looked at him closer I noticed a slight pinkish purple tint, I wondered if this could be amonia shock?) but still has vibrant blues and and orangish black head, I did'nt notice it was orange black until I got him in my room. If you guys have any advice or tips I'd love to hear them, I won some fish at my fair yesturday I bought the bowl cleaning kits a net and goldfish food and they died an hour later!!! He's not very active, should I be conserned about this? Do you think he will attack the other two fish/guppies ? How often do I clean the tank. How often should I feed him and how often should I feed him bloodworms instead of flakes? My Dad works for my local water filtration company and says they have de-ionized water there, he can get me a bunch of it for free, he is concerned that it may be acidic because its litteraly pure water stripped of ALL chemicals and metals. Hes not sure if they have distilled water which he thinks may be safer. What do you guys suggest? Is de-oinonized ok? Or should i see if he can get distilled?

Last edited by kaykay1295; 07-21-2011 at 08:53 PM.
kaykay1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #2 
bettaloverforever16

Oh gosh, a 1 gallon way too small for other fish!! Take them out as soon as you can.
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #3 
youlovegnats

Also, those other fish are most likely to be eaten.
Feed the betta pellets, not flakes- as they are more prone to bloating.
Take out those other fish, and get your betta a 2.5 gal. or bigger. Also a heater.
It would have been wise to do your research before getting all those fish.
I'm afraid the fish your sister have will die soon.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #4 
kaykay1295

I'm aware it's small. But I don't have the money or experience to buy a bigger tank. I will take them out very soon. I'll just clean my sisters tank tomorow and put them back in with her. I forgot to mention I have a mentally retarded cat named chloe, she really is mentally retarded, vet diagnosed and everything. baisicly it just makes her clumsy and SUPER domesticated, she enjoys begging like a dog and stumbles when she walks. When i get ready in the morning she will sit on my dresser, which is where my bowl is, and position herself aabout 7 inches from the bowl and stare at them moving her head depneding on where my beta swims. Do you think my cats gawking will stress my Kaeden out? I'm not at all concerned about her eating it. Shes so petrified of water she wont go closer than 7 inches and cowers when it rains. So her paws will be no where near that bowl.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #5 
NCPanthersgurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay1295 View Post
Hey, I justt got a new Beta. I'ts a Crowntail. I bought it at Wal-Mart and road it home on the bus, I'm slightly concerned because its been hovering around 100 for the past week and there is a 10 min walk from the bus stop to my house. He's in the 1 gallon bowl now I baught BettaMin and Freezedried Blood Worms. Also two water conditioners ones a pelet that dissolves in the water in a seltzer like fashion and the other is drops. I've put the pellet in but am reluctant to put in the drops also for fear of putting in too many things. I have two TINY other fish in there too. My sister demanded I take them. Their the babys of some of her fish she has a smaller tank than me with about 20 fish in it(this upset me to no end but will not listen to a word i say on the subject) and never cleans it I'm the one who usualy feeds them. So of course I took some of her fish! I have named my Beta Kaeden, he's blue and white with the white being pretty dominant( and when I looked at him closer I noticed a slight pinkish purple tint, I wondered if this could be amonia shock?) but still has vibrant blues and and orangish black head, I did'nt notice it was orange black until I got him in my room. If you guys have any advice or tips I'd love to hear them, I won some fish at my fair yesturday I bought the bowl cleaning kits a net and goldfish food and they died an hour later!!! He's not very active, should I be conserned about this? Do you think he will attack the other two fish/guppies ? How often do I clean the tank. How often should I feed him and how often should I feed him bloodworms instead of flakes? My Dad works for my local water filtration company and says they have de-ionized water there, he can get me a bunch of it for free, he is concerned that it may be acidic because its litteraly pure water stripped of ALL chemicals and metals. Hes not sure if they have distilled water which he thinks may be safer. What do you guys suggest? Is de-oinonized ok? Or should i see if he can get distilled?
Okay first, welcome and congrats on your new fish!

Next; 1 gallon is wayyyy too small for three fish. It's on the small side even for a single betta to be honest.
As to water, just use treated tap water. The minerals and stuff that are in it more naturally are actually good for the fish, it's the ammonia and nitrite that aren't. But if you have to, distilled I think would be safer. Also, do you have a heater? I would suggest you get one for him, unless you can guarantee the water is consistently in the high 70s.
Sometimes new fish aren't very active, simply because of the new environment. But he could also be feeling crowded. I suggest a bigger tank, if you insist on keeping the 2 babies in there at least a 3 gallon Kritter Keeper, but even that's on the small end. And definitely the heater, he is a tropical fish after all. You can get a preset one for $15 at WalMart. :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

If you want any other fish with your betta, a 10 gal. and up is recommended
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #7 
kaykay1295

My dad works for the water plant we have in my town here are some of the chemicals we use in our water, it doesnt need as many chemicals as some towns becauses we get our water from an underground river that is very clean.phosphate, amonia, sodium-hypo-chlorate which is a chlorine-amonia mix, floride and a chemical called ri-ox and a couple others that are too hard to type. knowing these chemicals what conditioners should i use. or use distilled?
Old 07-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #8 
masshiimarro

since you said de-oinized water means that its stripped of all metals/chemicals, i dont think thats a good idea. most of us here use tap water, unless you know that your water is seriosusly lethal with high doses of harmful chemicals. since tap water does have chlorine and stuff, usually the water conditioner fixes it up. your fish still needs some of the minerals in the water. i would say any type of conditioner suited for fish should be fine. personally i use prime.
and i would definitely reccomend upgrading your tank size. contrary to popular belief its actually easier to manage than a small tank, which needs much more frequent cleaning.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #9 
kaykay1295

ok, and my town has to use very few chemicals from the origanal state because its already very clean from the start thanks to it being underground, and the chemicals we do put in we only put in a little. id imagine since its underground it has an abundent of minerals. my aunt has a fish tank. not sure how big but i think im going to call her and ask about using it
Old 07-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #10 
fishman12

Good luck!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote