Luck!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #12 
masshiimarro

pics when your done! :D
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #13 
Punki

If you dont end up using tap then go spring. I use spring pretty often, mixing 25% tap to 75% spring then adding prime water conditioner and have no issues. Whould love to see pics of your guy once he settles in :) Good luck!
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #14 
kaykay1295

I'm buying a new bigger tank with tankmates latter today. i have pics b ut no clue how to upload them lol! when i get the new tank set up i will most certainly take pics, uploading is another story because i cant figure it out!!
kaykay1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #15 
fishman12

What size? What tankmates?
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #16 
Punki

Yeah be careful with tankmates, bettas are very picky with their mates, my male wont even let a snail live with him. I want to try a ghost shrimp one day but i worry he will do the same thing. Uploading hmm, if you click your own name here and go to your albums, at the top it should have an upload option, then when it finishes uploading you can use the code underneath it to post it here.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #17 
kaykay1295

a 10-20 gallon tank. and probably a dull non agressive small non flashy fish. not sure what kind exactly yet.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #18 
fishman12

3-4 corydora catfish would work...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #19 
kaykay1295

i got a ten gallon tank with 4 ghost shrimp then the filter mysteriously stopped working, so my aunt baught me a new one!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #20 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay1295 View Post
He's in the 1 gallon bowl now.

As others have said, this is far too small.

Also two water conditioners ones a pelet that dissolves in the water in a seltzer like fashion and the other is drops. I've put the pellet in but am reluctant to put in the drops also for fear of putting in too many things.

I recommend the DROPS over the fizzy stuff. That way, YOU can control how much is used

I have two TINY other fish in there too. Do you think he will attack the other two fish/guppies ?

As others have said, since they are babies, he will probably eat them

My Dad works for my local water filtration company and says they have de-ionized water there, he can get me a bunch of it for free, he is concerned that it may be acidic because its litteraly pure water stripped of ALL chemicals and metals. Hes not sure if they have distilled water which he thinks may be safer. What do you guys suggest? Is de-oinonized ok? Or should i see if he can get distilled?

DO NOT Use distilled or DI water. Use regular tap water. You can read my guide on water chemistry in my signature, but long story short, it is bad for your fish and will make your fish-keeping experience a short and bad one.
Quote:
I'm aware it's small. But I don't have the money or experience to buy a bigger tank.

Larger tanks are easier to take care of. However your lack of money is a better reason. Start saving up money to get him a 2.5 gallon. In the meantime, do 100% water changes EVERYDAY

Do you think my cats gawking will stress my Kaeden out? I'm not at all concerned about her eating it. Shes so petrified of water she wont go closer than 7 inches and cowers when it rains. So her paws will be no where near that bowl.

I know you said your cat won't go near it, but knocking it over would be my main concern. If you see Kaeden CONSTANTLY flaring at her or hiding in her presence then you should be concerned

Quote:
My dad works for the water plant we have in my town here are some of the chemicals we use in our water, it doesnt need as many chemicals as some towns becauses we get our water from an underground river that is very clean.phosphate, amonia, sodium-hypo-chlorate which is a chlorine-amonia mix, floride and a chemical called ri-ox and a couple others that are too hard to type. knowing these chemicals what conditioners should i use. or use distilled?

Sodium hypochlorite is goddamn BLEACH. I know it's used in water treatment but unless you know how much is used, I really cannot say as to whether it is safe for your fish or not. If this is the case, then I don't know why your father says it will be "too acidic" (Unless he was talking about the DI water). If there is too much Sodium hypochlorite, then your water will be very basic, not acidic.

Chloramine is easy to remove, on this forum we recommend SeaChem Prime.

I have no idea what "Ri-ox" is, and neither does Google.

I also can't determine what conditioner you should use if you are unable to type the "other chemicals"

Good luck with him, considering the chemistry on this thread I'll subscribe for now
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote