Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #11 
Punki

I think theyd be beautiful also. Keep with Jazz, try a few methods, hopefully one will work sooner before a new male is conditioned xD
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #12 
NCPanthersgurl

Yup. Have to condition the new male anyway right? :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Usually if a male is totally not aggressive, there is something wrong with him. I'm not sure what though (I don't know much about diseases).

Try isolating him (perhaps you could treat him with IAL and salt - not sure about this but I often do). After a day or 2, flare him to a female. If he is a light color, use light colored females. Otherwise you can use any color. See how he reacts.

If he flares, repeat flaring regularly every day (don't use one sparring partner every day). Add the duration every other day until he would flare for 15 min. Then you could consider breeding him.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #14 
NCPanthersgurl

Thanks. With a light male I should use a light female? So I need to get another female if I want this to work?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #15 
Luimeril

there isn't always something wrong with males that aren't aggressive. Ichi's a total sweetheart, and lived in plain sight of Theodore for months before i moved him into my 1.5 on my desk. he never flared at any betta, and didn't even start biting his tail till the aggressive, yet shy, Zidane came into his sight. he won't flare at another betta, won't flare at his reflection, won't flare at anything. thats' why i THINK he's a delta! xD because he won't flare at me! when he caught sight of Heavy, my new gold DT female, he was more curious than aggressive(and darling Heavy was curious about him!). doesn't mean he's sick. doesn't mean he's not breed-able. just means he's a sweet heart.

i don't think there's ANYTHING wrong with Jazz.

have you tried tannins? Indian Almond Leaves, naturally dried Oak leaves, and i think Betta Spa has it in it(but you'll have to get more advice on that).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #16 
Punki

I read that your heater overheated him and wore him out, maybe he just needs a bit longer rest before stepping up to the plate.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #17 
NCPanthersgurl

Perhaps. I set up his 2 gallon KK that I bought last night, and gave his 2 gallon to Alma. What I figure I'll do is get my new male tomorrow {since I have my bf talked into it I might as well >.<} and house him in the ten gallon for a bit. Do some more conditioning on Jazz and Alma, and start conditioning Mr New Guy, lol. It'll take about two weeks for that. And then after that I'll give both boys a peek at her through the glass and if Jazzy flares I'll give him a chance, if he doesn't maybe Alma's just not the right female for him. Could it be that she's so dark? Maybe I should look for a female closer to his own colors?

Either way, we're taking another break. I've got him floating in his new tank right now, I'll post a pic after I release him. Alma's gonna sit in the kitchen tonight, I'm having my bf help me build a bookcase tomorrow so I can put her on it, and the new male once I get him his own tank and there's no breeding going on. lol.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #18 
Punki

Sounds like a plan! Hopefully Jazz just needs a few more days to calm and cool off. :)
Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #19 
NCPanthersgurl

I hope so. He's settling into his new and, mostly, permanent home. :)

Old 07-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #20 
Punki

Hes so pretty...So shimmery! :)