NCPanthersgurl

Shanks >.<
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #22 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
there isn't always something wrong with males that aren't aggressive. Ichi's a total sweetheart, and lived in plain sight of Theodore for months before i moved him into my 1.5 on my desk. he never flared at any betta, and didn't even start biting his tail till the aggressive, yet shy, Zidane came into his sight. he won't flare at another betta, won't flare at his reflection, won't flare at anything. thats' why i THINK he's a delta! xD because he won't flare at me! when he caught sight of Heavy, my new gold DT female, he was more curious than aggressive(and darling Heavy was curious about him!). doesn't mean he's sick. doesn't mean he's not breed-able. just means he's a sweet heart.
It is unadvised to keep them in sight of another betta. Some may become uninterested (color remain vibrant) but some may become stressed or afraid (color fade). They will flare or fight back if they feel a real threat (if there's another betta in the tank). And these can be bred. But the stressed ones sometimes need time to gain their courage and often hard to bread.... but they will breed. Further their fins would eventually clamp if they never flare.

But if for no apparent reason a betta stops flaring, specially during spawning or introduction, there is usually something wrong. A healthy betta would practically flirt all day. They rest while they work on their nests.

Quote:
I read that your heater overheated him and wore him out, maybe he just needs a bit longer rest before stepping up to the plate.
The picture doesn't show any signs of stress or health issues. Maybe this is his problem.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #23 
NCPanthersgurl

Yeah maybe. I've had him on a conditioning diet, and it's enhancing his colors like crazy, so perhaps if I just keep feeding him like I have been and give him a couple more weeks he'll be golden. :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #24 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
It is unadvised to keep them in sight of another betta. Some may become uninterested (color remain vibrant) but some may become stressed or afraid (color fade). They will flare or fight back if they feel a real threat (if there's another betta in the tank). And these can be bred. But the stressed ones sometimes need time to gain their courage and often hard to bread.... but they will breed. Further their fins would eventually clamp if they never flare.

But if for no apparent reason a betta stops flaring, specially during spawning or introduction, there is usually something wrong. A healthy betta would practically flirt all day. They rest while they work on their nests.

The picture doesn't show any signs of stress or health issues. Maybe this is his problem.
that's the thing. >.> Ichi didn't change. Theo can't see. Ichi didn't start tail biting till Zidane came into his sight(by total accident, mind you). my thought is, its because Theo's white, and can't see to get aggressive with Ichi, so Ichi figured Theo's not a threat. Ichi went about his business, doin' his betta thing.

mind you, i don't plan on breeding Ichi, nor Theo.

and, i've tried everything short of cupping one of my males and putting him in Ichi's tank, in the cup, to get Ichi to flare. o.0 he just... won't... do it...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote