Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #1 
kaykay1295

Question how often and proper method to change water

Ok, I have a 1 gallon bowl, yes I know this is small!! But I can't afford and don't have enough experience yet to be comfortable with buying a bigger habbitat! I am using tap water right now with water conditioner to make it easier on my crowntail beta( I just bought it today, I should be getting distilled water very soon) theres two other 1/2 -1 cm guppies of an unknown breed in there, their were my sisters long story short she has them in horrible conditions dity bowl 20 of those guppy things rarley fed its 1/2 gallon and a goldfish in there too. so I've temporarily taken a few into my bowl for a few days. How often should I clean the bowl, intirely and partially. And how should I do it so I don't stress Kaeden(my beta) I was considering temporarily putting him in a temporary bowl while I was cleaning it then putting him in when I was done. What do you guys think?
kaykay1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:18 AM   #2 
hmboyz

100% water change every 2-3 days is what I recommend. make sure the water is dechlorinated.
hmboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

In a 1gal unfiltered container with a single Betta-twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality-provided that you don't overfeed and uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time....

Don't use distilled water-its not healthy for fish...dechlorinated tap water is best and it generally contains all the needed mineral the fish needs for good health

With the added guppies in the 1gal with the Betta....thats a problem.....you need to get another container to place them in or hopefully they are small enough and the Betta will eat them....kinda like going from fire to the frying pan......with the added guppies...water changes of 3-50% and 1-100% a week and hope for the best.....

Make sure the water temp is within a couple of degrees between new and old water with water changes so not to temp shock the Betta
Always use dechlorinator with any water added to the tank....
Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with partial changes as a general rule.....

Re-home the goldfish...its cruel keeping it and guppies in a half gallon container...if its a common goldfish...it needs a pond and fancy type at least 20gal...sooner rather than later......until then provide clean dechlorinated water with lots of water changes and limit food intake...

Good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #4 
kaykay1295

I personally cannot rehome them. my sister will not allow me, the best i can do is clean her tank and feed them, she sees nothign wrong with putting them all in tht little bowl no matter what i tell her.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Thats too bad.......you can only do so much......at least they are getting water changes......
Old 07-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #6 
kaykay1295

yea, i just cant make her understand that that many fish cannot fit in that small of a bowl! shes like yes they can its not crowded! look ones pregnant! are you getting a new bowl? no y would i do tht?!
then i walk into her room and it smells like death and a sewer! the water was so dirty and clouded i could see the bottom of the bowl it was brown! she wouldnt let me clean it either! so i waited until she left and cleaned it. im soooooooooooooo tempted to wait until the next big storm when our sewers drain into the local river and dump her whole bowl into the sewers, then they at least have a chance! but i cant so im just going to continue cleanign the tiny bowl, i may give her my one gallon so tht theres only 7 in each bowl.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Oh Noooooo.......please don't dump any fish.... dead or alive..... in the sewer or flush......this is bad for our ecosystem/environment........properly euthanize and depose of the body by bury, burn or toss in the trash.....
Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #8 
kaykay1295

how do you euthenise a fish?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #9 
AuntyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay1295 View Post
If you can stomach it, chop off its head. If you can't, put it in a cup of water and put it in the freezer. Hypothermia is relatively painless.
AuntyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #10 
BetterBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay1295 View Post
"If you have access to clove oil, you can put the fish to sleep seemingly painlessly. Mix it with water about 3 drops oil per 1 liter of water. This is sufficient to put the fish to sleep, and once it is unconscious add 3 more drops to kill it."- http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...articleid=1047
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote