Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #11 
Neil D

You said your not comfortable with a bigger setup, but a betta needs a bigger setup, 2.5g, at least and with guppies? A tank.

But considering your situation, that bowl of yours needs 100% changes every other day. You sisters bowl should have 100% changes 2x daily to keep ammonia down. Distilled water doesn't have the minerals fish need to be healthy, so keep using tap with dechlorinator. Guppies and bettas need heat. A bowl is really not safe to heat. Try getting a 10g as soon as possible for the guppies, rehome the goldfish, and buy a 2.5g bowl for your betta. Each of those needs a heater. Seems like you really care for your fish, so I wish you the best!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #12 
freeflow246

Just the idea of euthanizing a betta makes me shudder. But I understand that it can be necessary.

I had to 'euthanize' one of my mice once. It was the runt of the litter, and although it survived until it was almost an adult, it would periodically slip into these bouts of sickness. He'd lose fur, stop eating, lose his balance, and get these odd rings on his tail. After a day or two he'd come out of it, but the last time he got sick he was in a rut for over a week. He got worse than ever before, and his buddies even started to nibble on his tail and ears. One morning I looked at him and realized, "He's not going to make it." This odd strength came over me, and I knew I had to make sure that his suffering was ended as soon as possible. I couldn't bear the idea of cutting his head off or drowning him, so I screwed my eyes up and quickly broke his neck. It's not a very fond memory, but I am certain that I did the right thing. He was starving and being eaten alive by his siblings. Not much of an existence.

EDIT: A necessary read for anyone who thinks they need to euthanize their fish. Even if you don't need to, it's good stuff to know: http://nippyfish.net/2007/02/12/euthanizing-aquarium-fish/

Last edited by freeflow246; 07-25-2011 at 11:35 PM.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #13 
kaykay1295

o.k. so my sister thinks her fish are pregnant...and that they lay eggs. they've been "pregnant" for about 2 months. i tried explaining to her that if they lay eggs they fertalize in the water.and pretty sure fish dont stay pregnant that long
kaykay1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #14 
Neil D

Guppies are livebearers, they give live birth.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #15 
kaykay1295

see now what i want to know is, how i get her to understand if its gonna "lay eggs" IT WILL NOT BE PREGNANT!! and if it is pregnant it will give live birth. also i really dont think a fish can be pregnant for 2=3 months..... their kids are like dots. it doesnt even take rabbits that long and their huge compaired to them....... and i wouldnt euthenize my betta, just my mystery fish
Old 07-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #16 
kaykay1295

i now have a 10 g tank fyi. with two fake plants and two rocks. i stole 4 of my sisters fish. i also have four ghost shrimp
popcorn
cocktail
grill
and fry
and my betta, kaeden
Old 07-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #17 
Neil D

Ok. It's time to chose the lesser of the two evils. *sigh* take the betta out, and put the guppies in. Keep the betta in the bowl, guppies need the room/oxygen. The goldfish NEEDS a new home, 50-80g tank or preferably POND. Make sure there is a heater for the tank.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #18 
freeflow246

Yea, what Neil said. If there's a pond near you, that's where I'd put my goldfish.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #19 
kaykay1295

not my goldfish. honestly i dont give a crap about her fish at this point. because apparently shes a better fish caregiver than me. because she can put 13 mystery fish and a gold fish in a gallon bowl with brown untreated water and over feed them. while i have a betta one mystery fish and 3 shrimp in a ten g tank with filter and heater and never over feed clean it regularily. but because her goldfish hasnt died and she can keep tht many in a tiny space shes better than me. i really hope they all die! i got into the fish because it was somethign for me, something she couldnt do, that she couldnt ruin and show me up in. i wanted this to be my thing alone and she is ruining it, so yes, i hope her fish die. maybe then she'll shut up and relize i am right
Old 07-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #20 
Oldfishlady

While I think its bad karma to wish bad things on others...you need to remember that there is a big difference between surviving and thriving....and it sounds like you have won already by keeping your fish in a thriving environment......its just a matter of time before things will go wrong in your sisters setup and when it does and she ask you for help....I am sure you will do the right thing and help the fish regardless of how you feel toward your sister.....good luck......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote