Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #1 
GunsABlazin

Ways to condition

Im a little confused about conditioning, because i have read allot of different ways that you folks on here use.
I know the basics...Frequent feeding of live or frozen food, Clean water, about 80 degrees.
But whats the most successful method you guys have used, and what do you think is the best method for a new breeder?

Thanks a Bunch.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Lots of different methods that will work to condition for breeding as you are finding out......lol.....

What I like to do or how I view it-conditioning is to stimulate and/or to find the triggers that are instinct driven.....

Instinct tells the fish its time to reproduce based on-food, water quality, temp and photoperiod.....

In a closed system we have to artificially provide these things to help trigger their spawning instinct.....

Quality foods-especially live, longer days, clean water-but not too clean that it lacks the needed minerals and DOC's and temp changes to emulate rain.

When I condition-I find it easier and faster if I use live foods...mass fed mosquito larva, I leave the lights on 12-13h and make water changes the day I want the spawn.... allowing them to stay in separate containers with limited water changes and with hard to spawn breeders- I use the temp shock method...the temp shock method is safe as long as the breeders are healthy to start and the Bettas should be healthy anyway when used for breeding...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #3 
GunsABlazin

Both of my Pair are healthy, i have been mass feeding mosquito larvae for about a week, doing small water changes every day.
I have a ~40G long tank with 3 1/2-4 inches of water getting up to temp (82). 2 IAL, breeding mops for hideing (when they go in).
Old 07-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #4 
Punki

I did the same, 3 times a day id go scoop some mosquito larvae out, rinse/feed. I think that live conditions alot faster then frozen if its fed throughout the day. My girl plumped with eggs after 3 days of mass feeding those :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #5 
GunsABlazin

My girl isnt really getting plump. I feed about 7 larvae 3 times a day.

i have a 10G tank divided 3 ways, the male i am going to spawn is on the out side, and another male is on the other out side, this leaves the middle open. (i hand made the dividers, they cant be seen through). Would that be a good place to put her whilst i feed her up? Or should i just continue to float her in a cup in the middle?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #6 
Punki

Hm, im not sure, my female lived next door to my male for a month in a 10g divided and they could glimpse at each other and she still spawned with him. But ive read that its best to keep them out of each others water/view because of the hormones he releases to ripen her eggs. But floating in a cup cant be fun either :)) Hopefully ofl comes back around with advice. For my second breeding attempt (they ate the eggs the first time) i removed her from the divided tank and put her in a 1.5g tank away from him for 5 days.
Id say id feed about 10-20 larvae each feed but they were smaller larvae most of the time.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #7 
GunsABlazin

the larve i feed are anyware between just hatched to almost ready to fly. I have a seperat tank, put i cant get it up to 80 with the current heater.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #8 
Punki

Yeah my larvae are like that now, but when i was conditioning my bucket got ruined so i had to wait for new ones, so all small :(
If you have a large vase, or sterilite bin, anything will work, it just helps her feel isolated and lonely so when she suddenly sees the male she gets so excited and ripens up. Maybe a cup would work though, i was just thinking of her comfort, my girl swims against a cup all day wanting out so it tires her out.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #9 
GunsABlazin

im just trying to figure how i could keep her warm enough in my 1.5G. I could lower is to 1G of water so the heater has to heat less... :/ I just pulled this female out of a sorority today, (she was still getting fed up the same) so she will get lonely fast.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #10 
GunsABlazin

ello?