Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #1 
NCPanthersgurl

Exclamation Wanna make sure nothing is seriously wrong...

Housing
What size is your tank? 10gal, filled all but 6 inches
What temperature is your tank? 80*
Does your tank have a filter? Nope
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Nope
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Thus far I've given him some brine shrimp, but he won't eat.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once, just got him today.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I'll be doing 50% two-three times a week as needed, 100% one a week, every other week, as needed
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ^^
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner and Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A little bit "droopy" but color hasn't changed at all.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? When I got him, he was more energetic, more "bouncy"...now he's veryyy lethargic and won't eat.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 10 minutes ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Added some aquarium salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just got him today.
How old is your fish (approximately)?Unknown

Alright, got my new male today. When I first put him in the tank he was swimming around happy...and now he's hardly moving. I'm assuming he may be stressed, and just trying to get accustomed to the new home. So I added some aquarium salt and a couple extra drops of stress coat.
He won't respond to tapping stimulation, or even seem to care that I'm there. He just kind of...sits. Comes up once in a while for air, and then sits. Won't eat, nothing. Just want to make sure this isn't something more serious, since he is very new to me.

NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #2 
TheBlueBettaFish

I would give him time to adjust...considering you just got him today. My Betta Red did that...he was pirky when I got him at Petco but when I put him in his tank he looked "alive dead" and refused to eat. After a while he danced for me and eats wildly!

I hope this helped you! And he's so pretty!
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #3 
NCPanthersgurl

Thanks! You can't tell really from the pic, but he's a Double tail Halfmoon. I woulda never believed I'd find one like him at Petco. :)

Anyway I wanna make sure. I remember Jazz was similar when I got him, but he would eat a little and that's the part that concerned me with Callisto. But I'm figuring the jump from cup to ten gallon is a bit more shocking for him...just want to be sure. All my betta knowledge has been acquired in a three week span, I'm still so new to it! I just like to double check. :)
Old 07-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #4 
NCPanthersgurl

Hmm. The way he's sitting in my pic of him seems to be how he floats. Oo I hope there's nothing up with his swim bladder. 0.o He really does act "alive dead"...I can tell he's breathing but he stays at the bottom of his tank. They can't breath through their gills can they?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

How did you acclimate him to the new source water from the pet shop water

If he is having buoyancy issues...its better to use Epsom salt 2-3tsp/gal and not aquarium salt....sometimes aquarium salt can make the symptoms worse....

I would go ahead and make a 50% water only change and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank and add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannins if you have any...IAL or dried Oak leaf-however, since this is a 10gal...I would move him to a small QT and float it in the heated tank to maintain a temp in the 76F range and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth....and premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the Epsom salt and tannins and use this water for the water changes....start with 25% every hour for 4 hours and then 100% starting tomorrow for at least 10 days....
Good luck....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-22-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #6 
NCPanthersgurl

He's now sitting at the top. I didn't notice earlier but he has dark stress stripes. Could all of this just be stress? I have no access to tannins til morning, I'll have to run and get some decaf green tea...
Old 07-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #7 
Luimeril

i'm sure he'll be okay. x: you JUST got him, so he's probably a little freaked out. my Scout's acting a little funny, but i just got him yesterday, so it's understandable. Spy was pretty skittish, too. :d give him a few days to adjust. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #8 
NCPanthersgurl

I'll have to keep an eye on him. Oh, and OFL, I put his cup in the water, floated it. Drained some water from the cup, added some of the tank water. Repeated for a few, adding a bit more each time. Then after about 20 minutes put him in the tank.

He's just SO lethargic. He's sitting on some plants in the corner, up at the top of the tank. He seems to be swimming fine, it's just when he stays still he'll let himself float kinda like what he was in the pic above; though I snapped that when he was still pretty active. He's not bloated at all, his color is perfect. Except two dark blue stripes down either side that only recently appeared. I try not to check on him too often, once ever couple of hours. Maybe he's just super stressed and I need to chill. After all, not all fish will react the same, right? I may do what OFL said and stop to wally tomorrow for some epsom and some tannins though. Better to have them on hand anyway, and if I see no improvement it'll be needed.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #9 
NCPanthersgurl

I put him in a smaller QT, he just seemed to be having a rough time in the full ten gal. Then I noticed something while I was trying to catch him. The plastic house...thing...we put in there earlier is letting off an ungodly strong plastic scent. I soaked it in water and washed it off before putting it in, but I never noticed that. It wasn't til I picked it up and had it pretty close to my face that I noticed that it stunk of really gross plastic. Anyway I'm going to watch him in the QT, that's floating in the main tank...but is that possible? Could that plastic thing be a poison to him? If so, is there anyway to make it safer, like soaking it in vinegar?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #10 
TheBlueBettaFish

Do you have hiding spots in your tank? Such as a sunken ship, castle, etc.? Because stress stripes can form if they feel...stressed...lol, so hiding places can calm them down.

Maybe in like 5-7 days, if he still acts like that, test your water.
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote