Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #1 
OwnerofSaix

How do I take care of a snail?

So I'm considering getting my betta a mystery snail friend, but I have a few questions about how to take care of it.

- What do they eat? Saix eats bloodworms, will they eat those too? Would they eat betta pellets or flakes? There are no live plants or algae, so should I also get algae wafers? And how often should they be fed?

- How do I do a tank cleaning with them? Do they breathe only water or would they be ok to wait for a little while in just air?

- Do they need air stones or filters? If they're really dirty, then with a 2.5 gallon tank and a betta how often and how much should I do for water changes?

- I have a heater with a cord. Because of this, the lid to my tank is only slightly ajar. Would they try to escape? If so, how can I fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide for me. :)
OwnerofSaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #2 
newbie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerofSaix View Post
So I'm considering getting my betta a mystery snail friend, but I have a few questions about how to take care of it.

- What do they eat? Saix eats bloodworms, will they eat those too? Would they eat betta pellets or flakes? There are no live plants or algae, so should I also get algae wafers? And how often should they be fed?

- How do I do a tank cleaning with them? Do they breathe only water or would they be ok to wait for a little while in just air?

- Do they need air stones or filters? If they're really dirty, then with a 2.5 gallon tank and a betta how often and how much should I do for water changes?

- I have a heater with a cord. Because of this, the lid to my tank is only slightly ajar. Would they try to escape? If so, how can I fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide for me. :)
They eat algae and leftover food from your fish. I feed mine part of an algae wafer once a week or so. They don't need to be fed very often. They are able to find food on the decorations of the tanks itself.

They can be outside of the water. I put my snail in a little cup while doing water changes. It would not hurt for him to be stuck to the side of the tank or otherwise outside of water during water changes. If you plan to breed the snail, the eggs are laid outside of the water at the top of the tank.

They do not need an airstone. They can be pretty dirty. I would suggest a filter. How often and how much water do you change?

Is the opening of the tank large enough for a mystery snail to fit through? My snail has never tried to escape his tank or cup while doing water changes. However, I do not leave him alone with the lights off in the cup and I have a lid on my tank. I can't answer that questions very well for you. All I can say is I doubt it, but I'm really not sure.

Please keep in mind that mystery snails can grow quite large. Someone with more stocking knowledge than me can probably chime in on how much space they need. I don't know if 2.5 with a betta is enough room. It could be. I honestly don't know. I have my betta and snail in a 10 gal.

Hope that helps!
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #3 
OwnerofSaix

So they would eat leftover bloodworms?

I change 50% one week, 100% the next week, then repeat.

A 2.5 is all I can afford right now. I have another 1 gallon for water changes, but that's it. lol So maybe I shouldn't get one?

How big do they usually get?

Thanks for the help! :D
Old 07-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #4 
TheBlueBettaFish

I have a snail (who lives with my guppies) and I feed him algae wafers. They come out at night and eat at night. But don't worry! They think if its semi-dark in their tank, its nighttime.
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #5 
JKfish

Well, typically you should be doing 2 50% and a 100% water change in a 2.5 gallon a week with just a betta, and that might suffice with your mysterysnail add on. However, they are super messy. I would advise using a turkey baster or something along those lines to remove feces and uneaten food to keep the water quality good.

You can feed it algae wafers at night so your betta won't eat their food, and if you want you can sink a few pellets for it too. When you say you feed Saix just bloodworms, are you talking about freezedried or frozen?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #6 
OwnerofSaix

TheBlueBettaFish: lol Well he'll have a partner to play with, since my fish has gotten used to my night owl habits and sleeps during the day. XD

JKfish: Ok and it's the frozen variety, I know some people confuse the freeze dried as being a diet. lol So it's just melted bloodworms. Saix doesn't like the pellets, so I guess the snail could have those.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #7 
JKfish

Okay :), I was just making sure. Though, I would advise trying to give Saix a varied diet, so if possible, try soaking the pellets in garlic juice and seeing if he'll take them, or maybe even setting out a tubberware of water outside and feeding the mosquito larve that are born and will begin to live in there.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #8 
OwnerofSaix

Saix is blind in one eye and has trouble finding them, and then he'll spit them back out if he does manage to get them. I tried the garlic on the pellets, but that only attracts him with the bloodworms for some reason. Sometimes he'll eat the flakes. lol

What would you feed mosquito larvae?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #9 
JKfish

To feed Saix mosquito larve, just leave a bucket of water outside for a while, and when you see them (they're little wriggly white/gray things that float near the top), just scoop some of them out with a brineshrimp net and rinse them with tap water. Then you can use tweezers of an eye dropper to feed or drop near him. Because they wriggle and are live, Saix will probably find them easily.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #10 
OwnerofSaix

Do I need a special brine shrimp net to accomplish this, or would Saix's net do? Cuz I can soak it in scalding water afterwards to get rid of germs if it would do just as well as any other net lol