Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #11 
Punki

I am hoping someone will come along and say cupping is okay :)) For me im in florida so i just put them in a non a/c room and their water stays at 78-82 (night/day) so im not much help with small heaters :(
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #12 
GunsABlazin

yea..washington hasnt hit 80 in a while.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #13 
Punki

Id love that weather, today was 102 here outside :P Tanks hit 86 and i put a ziplock filled with cold water floating in their tanks to get it back down to 82-84 range. Opposite problem unfortunatly. Some people float those gladware bowls? They are about 1/2 a gallon and they saran wrap and poke holes in the top and attach that to a heated tank. Im not sure how big the cup is but if its a store cup maybe a 1/2 gallon gladware bowl would work, or something similar.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #14 
GunsABlazin

hmm good idea
Old 07-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #15 
Punki

As long as shes warm, can swim a bit, gets fed well, and doesnt sense any fish/male hormones she should egg right up when seeing him :D
Old 07-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #16 
GunsABlazin

ok, iv got her in a large tupperware bowl, floated in the middle 1/3rd of my heated 10 gallon. so far as she can see or smell, shes all alone.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #17 
Punki

Nice, hopefully it works out for ya, good luck :)
Old 07-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Its best to keep the Breeders in separate container so that they can't see each other during the conditioning process....if the female is healthy to start she should be able to tolerate room temp in the low-mid 70's...if its really cold in your area you can also place the cup on top of the lights as long as you monitor the temp hourly and move/remove as needed and since you have an empty 1.5gal...why not place her in that....

When I get my breeders ready to spawn-I like to place both of them in separate containers with tannin stained water- that are small and kept so they can't see each other and mass feed mosquito larva for 2-4 days-no water changes-keeping the water temp low in the 70's and the spawning tank setup and ready at 80F and drop both in the tank at the same time for a little shock.....and usually I have spawning within the hour......if not-it will be at first light the next day....healthy fish will tolerate the temp shock of 10-15 degrees without issue IME

Me too Punki-hot-hot-hot....lol....over 100's every day and the water temp in my outside spawns is staying in the upper 90's and my baby bed spawn setup is 102F(see album) since it get a bit more sun than the other setups...good thing I have tough fish that can tolerate this heat.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #19 
Punki

lol I love your baby bed setup OFL. So his girl would be okay in her cup for conditioning? I wasnt sure if that was too small of a place for her to be comfy. My fish seem to drive themselves crazy in the cup, and it made me feel they were wasting all their energy trying to get out all the time :))
I havent cooled my fry tank, its at 87 right now, i wasnt sure if 90+ was safe, but now i know not to worry :))
Old 07-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #20 
GunsABlazin

The 1.5 isnt empty, but i can esily move my DS male into the middle section. Would that be better?