Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #21 
GunsABlazin

the "cup" she is in is about 1/3-1/2 a gallon.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #22 
Punki

Oh that is a large cup! my petstore cups are maybe 1/8th of a gallon so thats what i had in my head.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #23 
GunsABlazin

she was in a pint. but that was just to get her adjusted to the water temp in the larger cup.

Would my 1.5 gall be better?
Old 07-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #24 
Oldfishlady

I use containers that are roughly 3cup'ish...but I also have the water tanned fairly dark along with some bits of oak leaf that always end up in it with a floating plant..."water lettuce" and this gives them a sense of security with the leaf floating on top and long roots hanging in the water column....... mine don't seem to fight the container much longer than an hour or so..if at all.... after I remove them from a 75gal NPT...I also drop a bunch of mosquito larva in the container and this keeps them busy too

Even in a small container you can create a sense of security and if they run the walls a lot and you don't have tanned water and/or floating plant....wrap the container with dark paper leaving half inch from the top open for light and a dark lid.....so they feel safe.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #25 
GunsABlazin

how do you do the tanned water? i have IAL, but i dont know how to use them.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #26 
Oldfishlady

I keep a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water with 10-12 crushed naturally dried and fallen from the tree- Oak leaf- steeping all the time ready for use......and I also keep some leaves in the tanks too......

The longer they steep the more tannins released the darker the water the more the Betta likes it.......

Remember-both IAL and oak leaf can alter the pH slightly-so make sure you use it in both the tank and replacement water especially with 100% water changes or do slow acclimation to both temp and chemistry just like you do with new fish...better safe than sorry......

With IAL-you use the same way.....add to the spawning tank so they can steep and have one in some replacement water that you will use for water changes
Old 07-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #27 
GunsABlazin

Ok, so i dont have to crush the two leaves i have in my spawning tank?
i have it already set up becuse it takes a good amount of time to reach temp.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #28 
Oldfishlady

You can crush them or not...when crushed its harder to get the pieces out...but I don't worry about the pieces in my tanks or the decomp but I have lots of live active growing plants that help take care of water quality issue they may cause....using whole makes it easier to remove as needed....

Why don't you start with like temp water when you first fill the tank.....then you don't have to wait for the temp to equalize....a little trick to speed up the temp......fill a plastic bottle with hot water and nuke and float in the tank...be sure and cap the bottle....
Old 07-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #29 
GunsABlazin

I usualy do, but today i filled it with ice cold water... im not sure why, i just didnt turn the hot water on in the tub...but oh well, gives me a good chance to make sure the heater holds temp well.
and, ill have to try the whole water bottle thing...though with my luck i will let it go to long an...*boom*.