Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #1 
fishcurl

Fishless or Fish-in Cycling?

I was all gungho to do a fishless cycle but now that I have my tank set up, I'm really wanting to get a fishy. Everytime I go into a LFS I see bettas in tiny cups. Some even swim up to the sides and look at me with big puppy betta eyes as if to say "take meeee hoooome!"

I'm hoping y'all can help me decide which way to go. OFL has already given me some advice which leads me to believe a fish-in cycle can be done with care and without harm.

Here's my setup:
  • Marineland Eclipse Hex 5 gallon
  • Three stage filter with biowheel
  • Adjustable Heater
  • Fake plants
  • API Master Test Kit
I can commit to the requisite water changes until the tank is cycled - OFL said two 50% changes per week. One just water, one to include substrate.

So, if it was you, what would you do? Have patience and do fishless cycle? Or go with fish-in with the commitment to do all water changes consistently and as needed?
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #2 
Tisia

I've done a couple fish in without issues. I did the pure ammonia method on my 10 gallon and it felt like it took forever. you don't have to do all the water changes but you do spend a decent amount of time checking levels and adding ammonia and banging your head against the wall wishing it was done, lol.
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #3 
ds2009

I did a fish in cycle too and it was very easy, all i did was 2 small water changes a week for a few weeks until i saw the results!
ds2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

If you are willing to do the water changes - fish in. Personally, I have NEVER done a fishless!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Fishless is bawlls, man! BOOFISHLESS.

Live plants speed things up, too, especially when youre doing fish-in.. Constant ammonia source+ a reason to do thems water changes+ plants that do part of the cycling/water change work for you= less time, less headache! LOL!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #6 
fishcurl

No one is talking me down from the head-long running leap into the world of bettas, then?

I'm willing and able to do the water changes so I guess it's settled!

I'm hoping Sunday will be FD (Fish Day).

Exciting! Yay!

And I gotta say, everyone here is super helpful and patience with all my newbie questions and enthusiasm. It's okay to say "down, girl!" to me once in awhile
Old 07-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #7 
Tisia

lol, think pretty much everyone here would prefer you ask questions and be excited than just shoving a fish into some tiny little nothing and then neglecting it
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #8 
Pitluvs

I know I for one understand 100%. Everytime I say I am going to do something and take my time with fish, I make it about a day and I break LOL Look at my list, I've only owned fish since May 27th! I did a fish in cycle with my big tank, I'm doing a fish in cycle with my 5g now (planted). I plan on doing a Natural Planted Tank with my 45g, which should help a lot with cycling. Hope it all works out great for you! Get some live plants!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #9 
PewPewPew

Yesyesyes! Live plaaanntss! They help cycle the tank.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #10 
fishcurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I know I for one understand 100%. Everytime I say I am going to do something and take my time with fish, I make it about a day and I break LOL Look at my list, I've only owned fish since May 27th! I did a fish in cycle with my big tank, I'm doing a fish in cycle with my 5g now (planted). I plan on doing a Natural Planted Tank with my 45g, which should help a lot with cycling. Hope it all works out great for you!
Thank you! I'm just so bad with waiting and patience. I love to jump in feet first, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Get some live plants!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Yesyesyes! Live plaaanntss! They help cycle the tank.
I'm sensing a theme here!

I plan on getting real plants as soon as I find the right kinds (easy for newbies) and a good source for them. I've bookmarked your plants thread (which is awesome, btw) and have a list of suggestions in my phone for when I'm out and about