Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #1 
Neil D

Angry Help. Tail Biting: SEVERE!

My guy Josh was recovering fine from a small case of tail biting. I took a nap at 1, now it's 4:30, and josh's tail is horrible! I'm gonna start AQ treatments now, but why does he keep T biting?!? He was fine 3 hrs ago! >.< gah I'll post pics soon...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

Maybe he's stressed or bored? Maybe re-arrange his tank?
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #3 
fightergirl2710

Distract him with something shiny, some pictures.. Rearrange his tank and flare him or 10 minutes a day. He could be bored or have some pent up aggression.. If he can still see Max, maybe he is stressed, then don't do the flaring thing obviously.. Silly Josh X(
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #4 
Neil D

I know right! He shouldnt be able to see Max, he hasnt flared or even LOOKED at the divider since I replaced it with two black mesh ones. Anyways, I will rearrange his tank after I'm done QT him. He is in one of those petco cups with AQ salt floating in his side of the tank. >.< Picture:
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #5 
fightergirl2710

Yeek! hat's a lot of bitten tail! Hope he stops soon or you're going to have a bald betta on your hands :(
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #6 
Fermin

Check his water parameters to make sure they're not the stressor.

How long have you had him? Is your tank in a high-traffic place in your house?

If he's not stressed but just bored, maybe try placing his tank where he can see a TV or lava lamp or something interesting to keep his attention. I had a betta that absolutely loved watching my Christmas tree and all its lights. :)
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #7 
Neil D

Rofl, no his divided 10g is in my room. Not even close to high traffic. Maybe I can play some random video on my iPad once in a while. I feel so silly thinking of showing my fish pics, but it's part of the job. >.< his water params are fine, I'll do another check, but ATM hes in a qt container. His tank mate, across ye old divider is fine. He can't see max, so thats not a real issue. I don't think he's bored, I switch which side theyre on every other week to every week. Is that a stressor? He doesn't have anyother sign of stress, apart from the TB. Why can't bettas be easy?!?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #8 
Sakura8

If they were easy, they wouldn't be bettas. But aww, I hope he does stop, he always had such a gorgeous tail. Did something happen, like a loud noise, while you were napping? And are you sure he isn't catching his tail on the divider or something? Hard to believe he could nom that much off in 3 hours. Put him in front of Splee, they can entertain each other.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #9 
Neil D

Rofl, there's no room on the table for a tank and fatty lol anyways, I don't think he caught it on the divider, I was thinking maybe the slate sculpture thing? But it's in a 'U' shape, not shreds. My dad thinks I'm nuts for showing my bettas 'pretty colors' with the iPad but in that loving way, not like "you spend too much time blah blah blah" way. Lol I found a vid...
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=lSQtiyOFAcI
Old 07-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #10 
Neil D

Or this: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=iYvCaBDLJNM sorry for the double post...