Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #1 
pumpkinspikepie

Bettas with issues. (Help please?)

To begin with, I brought home two red VT boys from work with mild cases of finrot. I changed their water when they got shipped here from the supplier and again when I got home. So that's stressful. But then I went to feed my HM boy and he wouldn't come out for a few minutes.... When he did, I freaked out because he was so clamped and scared looking. It might be worth noting that I forgot to shut off his light last night and it was on from yesterday morning until this morning, when I shut it off, so the light was off from around 10.15am this morning until 10pm tonight. So maybe he's just really easily stressed about the messed up light schedule? In any case...

Housing
What size is your tank? 15gal
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, two sponge filters
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? n/a
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Neon tetras, corydoras catfish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? HBH Betta Bites and Colorbright flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once at night and once in the morning

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20 - 40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API StressCoat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His colors have faded and he's very clamped; he resembles a VT more so than an HM. The tips of his fins also look redder than usual.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's gasping a little and he looks stressed out
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Maybe 20 mins ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I scooped him out and am housing him in a cup. I added a little more StressCoat.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I've only had him for a week or so, so not as far as I know.
How old is your fish (approximately)? A little more than four months, if the fish store I bought him from is correct.
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #2 
pumpkinspikepie

Could someone please help me
Old 07-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Can you think of anything you might have done differently to his water? I can't imagine just leaving the light on could stress him out so much unless it made the temp of his water too high, but 80 is about right.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Also, are any of his tankmates acting differently? Exactly how many tetras and how many corys are there?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #5 
pumpkinspikepie

He's equally clamped this morning.

I did a water change on Sunday, but I dosed it with StressCoat the same way I always do. His tankmates are all doing just fine; he's the only one with issues.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Can you see any other physical changes like white spots or inflamed gills? Change the water in his cup today, making sure to make the replacement water about the same temp so as not to shock him. If a water change doesn't help, it might be time to add some tannins and see if that soothes him.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #7 
pumpkinspikepie

He doesn't seem to have any white spots, as he is already very pale, but I'm going to go check on him now to see if I can see any other symptoms. I'll be changing the water on all three of them later; I'm out of spare cups so I have to wait until I pick my fiance up at work when I can snag some from our fish overstock.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #8 
Sakura8

That's good he doesn't have white spots/ich. Try soaking a decaffeinated green tea bag until his water changes color. It needs to be decaf green tea with no extra additives or flavor. This will release tannins that promote healing and will also soothe him a little.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #9 
pumpkinspikepie

We actually have a really good betta store in my city that carries IAL and banana leaves, so I might go up there and buy some of those. Do you know how much I should use in a small betta-sized cup?

Also, his gills look a little inflamed to me, but what do you think?

Old 07-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Indian Almond Leaf is even better than decaf green tea, you're luck you have a store that carries it. It's a little hard to see but if his gills ARE inflamed, the IAL should help with that as well. He's a good weight and he doesn't have any obvious ammonia burns or other problems. Do you think it's a possibility the tetras were nipping at him and causing him to hide? That would be my first assumption, as tetras have been known to nip at bettas before. He definitely is clamped because he looks very much like a VT, the poor guy.