Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #1 
LittleBettas

Rescued Betta

Whenever I go to Walmart I cant help but to browse though the Bettas (Cant help it, love them!) While browsing today I came across a cruel act of another Walmart customer, they took a male beta from his container on the shelf and dumped him in with another male Betta, by the time I found the Bettas the losers (a little red one) fns were just about completely gone, being a softy I figured Id buy them in hopes that I coud save the little red one or at least give him a peacful place to die (the cashier actully let me have the little red guy for free, apperently, hes a betta fan :) )
So now I have the male who attacked him, a big blue guy in his own big tank alone (Ive been calling him King Kong, lol)
I have my originial Betta, Tihs, a female who lies with two ghost shrimp and two moss balls
and the new red one
Everyone is doing well, Tihs is happy as ever (LOVES food and harrasing her tank mates... she doesnt attack them, they just arent allowed to swim to the top), King is enjoing his freedom

But the little red guy, who Im worried about, has almost no fins, he can swim, but its a bit difficult and hes been breathing heavy...
anyone have any experiance?
already added water conditionor, temp is good, not sure about ph, but everyone has the same water...

I knew this guy probably wouldnt mke it, but Ive had him for 5 hours and hs a fighter, I want to give him theBEST chance possible...
NO filter in the tank, hes not strong enough and probably will never use one fr him
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

That's like my Hughie, I took him home so he could get better or have a safe clean place to pass with love. Good for you for taking both home. Hope he pulls through!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #3 
Punki

1 tsp a gallon of aquarium salt will help prevent infection if you dont mind moving him to a smaller container, like the cup he came in, and lower water level so he can swim to the top without using as much energy. Darkness so he can relax and some good ol love :P Good luck :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

I got the darkness covered along with the aquarium salt, he was a bit stressed out from the dogs, people, and tv so I surrounded his bowl with a black book, hes calmed down a lot, hes swimming a bit every now and his breathing is not as rapid, hes mainly staying pretty much at the top, every now and then lifting his head to the top (like hes breathing)
I have him in a 1.5 gallon tank (its actually two but I only have 1.5 gallons of water in it), is it okay to leave him i that? or would a smaller bowl be better?
I hate to stress him out anymore by moving him and I think hes enjoying the freedom
Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #5 
Punki

as long as you dont mind changing that amount of water daily for a little while then its fine :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #6 
LittleBettas

No, I change 25% of water every day (habit from when I had goldfish and I enjoy it)
I try to comletely dismantle tanks once a week to clean rocks (my ghost shrimp are a bit messy, lol)

How long should I keep the aquarium salt (after a week can I change the tank water and then no more salt or should I put more in?)
Old 07-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #7 
LittleBettas

Best picture I can get of him right now... worried about stressing him out and i have a sucky camera... plus its 12am, lol

Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #8 
Wellsville

Oh, that poor fishy! He really looks terrible but I once rehabbed a betta who looked very similar to that and he is still alive today and looking better than ever. 'As long as you are able to keep up with the water changes and he is otherwise healthy I think he should pull through. Good luck!
Wellsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Put a plant or something in there so he has somewhere to rest OR lower the water level to about 3-4". Problem with that is you have to change the water every day. If you believe he has swim bladder issues, then you will want to stop the aquarium salt and try epsom salt instead, 1 tsp per gallon. But you'll have to do it gradually so you don't shock him. If you think he may be hovering at the top just so he can breathe and he can swim fine, then keep him in the aquarium salt. Poor little guy, I hope he gets better soon. Good that he has a loving home now.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #10 
LittleBettas

I have a fake plant in with him, he swam around and investigated it a bit but he was really tired afterward, Id like to put a moss all in with him but I dont know how they do with the salt..
Ill see how he is in the moring then decided whether or not to lower the water, I do have a floating lilly pad (fake plant) in Tihs's tank...should I put that in with him
Ive also seen floating leafs at petsmart, never trie one but suppcidly they attach to the tank so they float midway... bettas cn rest on them... should I take a trip to petsmart and get one?

Tags
fight, rescued