Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #11 
justemoi

Thumbs up

Ok... my problem has been solved...

I put Fritz Automatic Aquarium Heaters (8" 75 watt) in each of my 1.5 gallon tanks... yes I know that is a large wattage for a small tank (see above)... on the med/low setting... my water has been a perfect 79 degrees consistently so far yippeee!
justemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #12 
justemoi

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justemoi View Post
Ok... my problem has been solved...

I put Fritz Automatic Aquarium Heaters (8" 75 watt) in each of my 1.5 gallon tanks... yes I know that is a large wattage for a small tank (see above)... on the med/low setting... my water has been a perfect 79 degrees consistently so far yippeee!
UPDATE! UPDATE! all of the heaters have kept my tanks at a perfect 79 degrees... i woke up this morning, fed all my fishies, checked their temps then ran some errands for about an hour, came home... went to tell the little guys "hey! mommy's home!" and evidently one of the heaters had gone spastic and in less than one hour the temp was over 100 degrees! Zevo is gone I am so upset and it's all my fault. I took all of the heaters out and already arranged for them to go back to amazon.com.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #13 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by justemoi View Post
UPDATE! UPDATE! all of the heaters have kept my tanks at a perfect 79 degrees... i woke up this morning, fed all my fishies, checked their temps then ran some errands for about an hour, came home... went to tell the little guys "hey! mommy's home!" and evidently one of the heaters had gone spastic and in less than one hour the temp was over 100 degrees! Zevo is gone I am so upset and it's all my fault. I took all of the heaters out and already arranged for them to go back to amazon.com.
OH NO - I'm SO sorry!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #14 
Littlebittyfish

I'm so sorry for your loss.. :(
Which heaters were they?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #15 
lessandler

75 watts is generally rated for 20 gallon tanks.

I have had luck with fluval edge heaters that are 25 watts that are preset to 78. The only complaint is that they are not adjustable and a bit weak if you house is cold. They are also one the smallest temp set heaters on the market. But it is rated for a 5 gallon aquarium so I really don't know if it will cook your fish in a 1.5.

That being said, I plan on getting rid of all of mine becuase I want the ability to raise the temp higher if and when disease strikes and they keep my tanks 1-2 degrees lower than I want. But I doubt you will find the right adjustable one for your size.

The other thing I have done is use seedling mat heaters (becuase they can get wet) when I have had multiple bowls. you can get a large and put them underneath, but you still need to watch the temp on those since they are not adjustable. Maybe put them on a timer where they gone on intermittenly during the day and stay on a night unless you have a temperature controlled house with air and heat. I found they raised my 2 and 3 gallon bowls about 5-7 degrees.

Alos if they are glass aquarium to put them all on one mat might be too much weight. Maybe you need a couple. I put my mat under a black velvet runner to hide it and it looked great.

Here is the link to the one I bought & a thermostat (which I never tried) for them:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MT10...1799488&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...C12DJ97SME6SVZ

With any heater recommendation use it only when you have a good amount of time to monitor them for a while. Even the best heaters when used correctedly can be way off. Some need to be set higher or lower than what they actually heat the water to.

Good luck!

Last edited by lessandler; 07-27-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #16 
justemoi

Thanks for the advice, lessandler! I bought Marina C10 (10w) submersible, preset heaters today to give a try... says the are for up to 2.65 gallons. I just turned them on in fishless tanks so we shall see what happens... if these don't work I am totally going to try the mats you mentioned!!! Thanks again
Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #17 
lessandler

Actually I wanted to add that the product info on those heaters states that it raises the heat 10-20 degrees. it is possible since my bowls were larger than yours, and they were glass that it could raise your 1.5 too high. Just a warning!
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote