Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #1 
Jessabell

Question I'm thinking about adding sand and plants to my tank.

Instead of rocks. Will the sand stay put, or will it make the water cloudy? What kind from petsmart sand should I use?
Jessabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #2 
caitic10

Ive never used sand with fish before but Ive used it with frogs and didn't have any issues.

After you add the sand, put the water and plants in, but keep your fish out for a couple of days until the sand settles. The sand will settle eventually.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

I've found that a number of easier-to care for plants that most members gravitate towards dont really like sand.

Why the change, if I may ask?
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #4 
Jessabell

Well the tank he is in right now doesn't have rocks or anything and it has fake plants that attach themselves to the bottom of the tank. It looks tacky and I'm afraid of his fins getting damaged. So I thought a sand/real plant theme would work out okay.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Ohh. Sand is good, but again, there's that kickup period to deal with and stuff. Some plants cant get a good hold in sand, too.

Live plants are funfunfun :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #6 
Jessabell

Lol. I've never had live plants before. My tank is small, and boxy, so I'm just going to get approx. 2-3 small ones. lol. I wanna get the ones that look like grass.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #7 
JKfish

Sand is tricky, and I honestly wouldn't advise it unless you have a cycled tank.

If your tank is cycled, then go on ahead :D Playground sand works well, you just have to rinse it out very well before adding. When you add it, let it settle before turning on your filter. During your partial water changes, you should run a hand or something through the sand (try not to stirr it up) so you can get rid of anerobic spots where poisionous gas will build up under the surface.

As for plants in sand , I would advise something like aponogeton bulbs, wisteria, or marimo balls. They work well in sand, you'd just have to add some form of fertilizers (tabs would work) because the sand won't do much.

edit: if you are looking for micrograsses, be warned that you need a fair ammount of light. I think 2 watts per gallon would be the absolute minimum, and they definately need fertilizers.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote