Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #1 
Landon21
Banned

bettas and goldfish?

how compatible are goldfish such as the small fancys with the long fins and rounded boddies, also what about small black moores?
Landon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #2 
Luimeril

nope. x: goldfish need cooler water, and get big enough to eat your betta after a few years. x: also, you need HUGE tanks and heavy filtration for goldfish, and the filtration will aggravate your betta.

the flowing fins of both are good pickings for both, as well. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #3 
Landon21
Banned

thanks! ill keep them in a separate aquarium then!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #4 
TheBlueBettaFish

*sighs* A lot of people ask this question...

No. There are a few reasons why. 1st, they are a cold water fish and Bettas are tropical fish. BIG difference lol! And (as Luimeril said) they need heavy filtration that sucks your Betta in! D:! And, within a few years, they could eat your Betta......

Tips:
If you want to get a compatible fish with your Bettas, make sure they don't have long, flowing fins like Bettas or are brightly colored. In a Betta's mind...Color=Competition.
Good tankmates for Bettas could be: Snails, Cory Cats, Ghost Shrimp, Small Tetras, 1 or more Cheery Barbs and White Clouds.
Kin are bad choices. Gouramis are cousins of Bettas. So do not put them together! Make sure you don't mix kin with Bettas!

Hope this helped!
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #5 
Landon21
Banned

heres the deal my sister is moving and cant talk these four small (maybe quarter sized) goldfish, two are fancy golds and the other two are black moors.. she has them in a 1 gallon aquarium! also i dont get paid for another two weeks which means i cant buy them atleast a ten gallon for some time... any suggestions? lost and confused but i dont want them to die, ya know...
Old 07-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #6 
JKfish

Have her do 100% water changes at least once a day, if not twice maybe three times. Each goldfish would need about 20 gallons, so obviously as many water changes as possible will help. I'm not sure, but I think petco might still have a dollar per gallon sale going on. that means you could buy a 20 gallon for all four (until they grow some more) for less than what a 10 gallon kit would be. If you know any people who have any decent sized backyard contained ponds that they keep good care of, you might even want to consider rehoming those goldfish.

I've grown up with goldfish in my backyard pond, and six or so years ago they were 1/2 an inch feeder fish. Now, they are easily 7 to 8 inches long.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #7 
Landon21
Banned

well see i have a pond like container i could keep them in but the black moors dont do well in ponds do their weak eye site.. do you think if i did %100 water changes daily and put in a high pair air pump and stone they would do okay for about a week or two? i have no where else for these guys to go.. in two weeks im positive i can but them a 30g. i feel sorry for these little guys.. i also have an extra 4 inch deep, by 16 inches long by 12 inches wide container for betta breeding, maybe this would provide more surface area for them... what do you think?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #8 
Luimeril

with four fancy goldfish, you'd need at least a 50 gallon. x: that's so they all can be happy. otherwise, you'd need 2 30 gallons, with two goldfish in each 30 gallon.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #9 
Landon21
Banned

i have a friend giving me an old 45 gallon i can use for them but what im asking is will they be able to survive in this one gallon with a heavy duty air pump considering ill do %100 daily water changes for two weeks? i feel bad for them but im doing the most i can for them. they are quarter sized babies and i just want to know if they will be okay in the one gallon if i do as i said above for at the max two weeks.. after that i can get the appropriate for the four.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

For now that 30g will be more than enough for those four. You have some time to upgrade for them. Hope all goes well with your search! Have you thought about looking on Craiglist for a cheaper second hand tank? I got my 29g from a guy who was upgrading his two goldfish to a 55g tank :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote