Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #1 
inkrealm

would Neon Tetras make good company for my Betta?

the other day my betta was looking kindof dejected after he made a bubble nest and received no mate >.<
it got me to thinking, he seemed really perky and active back when I was always interacting with him, and now that Ive gotten kindof busy with school and whatnot, he seems a little more down.
I'm not saying he's got depression or something ^-^;;
I just think some other fish would give him some company when I can't provide it.. he really likes interaction, exploring and stuff, some other fish around might be fun.
that being said,
the main point of the board ^-^; :
his home tank is a five gallon, cycled, heated to around 75 and higher, some plants, etc. ^-^;
my mom really likes neon tetras, and wants some of her own, so while I can't convince her on too many things, she's in the boat on this one. I don't know a lot about neon tetras, but I do know lots of people on here have them with their bettas,
so to you guys, do you think this would be a suitable environment? ^-^
also what do you suggest for feeding time? as I don't know if they'll eat the betta food or want something else, and I don't want the betta eating their food, or them eating the betta's food >.<
any tips are really welcome ^-^ thanks guys <3

ohh. one more thing. if it's acceptable, how many can live in here, if you take my betta into account? if anyone enjoys answering questions I've got loads more I'd love to ask x3 I won't mob them on here though ^-^; thanks :D

his nature if needed, is pretty docile and baby-like from what I've seen. he's head-butted my fingernail before, but i think it was cause he thought it was food >.< he never bugs my hand when it's fully in the tank.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #2 
Neil D

Rofl,

Anyways...5g is too small for any other fish other than a betta. I would recommend getting a 10-20 g Tetras only tank and decorate it with lots of green. I had cardinal tetras (like neons, a bit bigger) but they nipped my poor guys fins:'( so I would say no, especially in a 5g. Sorry
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #3 
UglyMuffin777

You could get a platy or two: http://www.americanaquariumproducts....tydisplay3.jpg

As you see they come in many colors and types, and there minium size requirement is 5g. Im am considering getting a few for my little guy, since the platys are quite friendly towards bettas. The platys also have fry every now and then (not as much as guppies) and you can either seperate them or (this may sound savage) let your betta eat them, cause they make good snacks :P
UglyMuffin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #4 
UglyMuffin777

and also the bettas are friendly toward them.... I forgot to add >.<
Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #5 
inkrealm

@UglyMuffin777
thanks for the suggestion, :D
I had heard them mentioned a few times too. my mom's not usually big on fish so it's hard to find fish she actually likes, o^x but I could check them out at the pet store and see if I can get her interested ^-^
I think some fellow movement would just really be nice for him, everything's so dead and lifeless in our house lol >^<

I thought about the tv, as one of my friend's friends has a betta who loves to watch tv,
but our tv is too far away for him to see it and we don't have a little one that I could fit anywhere near him. one or two fish might really perk him up.
he used to be happy with the window ( no direct sunlight ) but I guess there's only so much to see in one tiny spot. and then he was happy with the kitchen life, but it's died down for a bit so it's super empty and dull now.
I draw on the outside of his tank with erasable marker sometimes and he seems to like that. but again I can only do so much, plus I don't like to leave it long because I'm scared it'll leach. I don't think that's an issue with glass, but it still makes me stupidly nervous >< if he had other fish around, he could interact with them and stuff. ^-^

also do you know where th eplant in your default came from? does it have plastic on it or is it all silk?
I never could manage to find any silk that didn't have sharp hard plastic stems... x-x
seems like such a silly thing to do if the whole point of silk is to be soft. <T^T>
he likes small spaces A LOT. I have no idea why. so he's always squeezing between his plants, and he'd definitely manage to cut himself on those :/
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #6 
Neil D

No other fish can go with a betta in a 5g. It will be overstocked, as plates are social. Sorry, but that's kinda it.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

Actually that's not the entire truth Neil. I know ghost shrimp can live comfortably in a five gal with a small bioload.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #8 
Neil D

Ghost shrimp are not Fish. *rolls eyes* lol shrimp and/or snails. That's it they don't have a large bioload, although a betta ,may pick on a snails antennae or eat the shrimp.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #9 
Kytkattin

Not all bettas can get along with any particular fish. Some bettas can be very aggressive and simply do not tolerate other fish in their territory. Sometimes they are good with one particular fish or species of fish, but not others. It is trial and error.

Also, I agree that most other smaller fish tend to be schooling. 5 gallons is simply too small to provide enough room for enough of these fish. Your best bet, as already recommended, would be shrimp of some sort (though the above rule about betta aggression still applies). You could try to talk your mom into a 10 gallon! Then you could have the 5+ fish needed for tetras (though 10+ fish is even better!).

And you should try to bump the temp up to 78-80. He will be able to better fight off diseases with a higher temp. :)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #10 
UglyMuffin777

@inkrealm : I got my plant at Petsmart :) It is plastic but so far I havent had a problem with it and there really isnt a spot that isnt soft. They actually have a section (at petsmart) where you can be plastic plants specifically made for bettas (like plants that dont tear or rip fins)