Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #1 
FishTheFish

Fish won't eat! =(

Hi everyone, my betta named Fish, or Ryan, or Flame, or Dolce, or Daishikiya (everyone in my family has a different name for him >_<)

I just have a couple questions about him; first, I was thinking that he is a veil tail, is this right?

Second, he is in a 1 gallon bowl, I know this is on the small side, but my parents wouldn't let me get a larger one, but I hope I can upgrade to a 5 gallon one some time in the next 6 months, but for the time being, will he okay living here? I put a (fake) car wreck that has artificial plants sprouting from it because I heard bettas like to hide in things and that the also like to rest on leaves and stuff because they get tired because of their long fins.

Third, I was wondering if he was alright health wise. I've looked at him all over, and I don't see any white spots indicating ich, or any black parts on him indicating fin rot, but I'm not really well educated in this so I was wondering if anyone else had any input.

Fourth, whenever I try to feed him betta pellets, he takes them into his mouth but then throws them back up. I guess he doesn't like the betta pellets, what other foods are good? I've heard about bloodworms and things, but I also heard that they carry a high risk of disease?
Attached Images

FishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #2 
betta4me

oh, don't worry i have the same problem with my Betta, i have no idea what his problem is though, i think maybe if you try cutting your pellets if half, thats what i did and i think it may have worked! oh and by the way yes your Betta is a veil tail i can tell just by looking at him! :)
betta4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #3 
bettamaniac

try feeding him flakes that might work and if he doesnt eat the flakes he will eat them when he gets hungry enough
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #4 
betta4me

haha, i love your picture, oh and some where i remeber reading that bettas CAN NOT, eat flakes, because they are mostly vegetable matter, and bettas are strictly carnivores, but i could be wrong. so give it a try! oh and by the way does any one know how to change your profile pic? cuz i can't figure out how!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #5 
kfish

(Click User CP at the top left to choose an avatar.)

He'll be okay in a 1 gallon as long as you change the water frequently. How often are you changing the water? Do you add dechlorinator? On a 1 gallon you should change the water at least every other day 100%. Make sure to add conditioner.

What's the temperature in there? With the light off, it probably gets a lot cooler... you may want to invest in a small heater to maintain a constant temperature 78-80 degrees.

As far as feeding... what brand are you giving him? Maybe try soaking the pellets in tank water first to soften them a bit. Sometimes they just don't like chewing!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #6 
betta4me

thanks that tip for the profile picture worked! lol oh and yeah i think you probably should check the temperature, water quality, ect.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #7 
FishTheFish

Hi, I'm changing the water every third day approximately. I've only had him in this tank since yesterday morning, so I'm going to change it tomorrow morning. I have this "Nutrafin Betta Plus: Tap Water Conditioner for Bettas" where it says it makes tap water safe, so I think I'm ok.

I just put in my heater a couple of hours ago (its that blue thing with the wire coming out of it) and the water is at 73 or 74 degrees fahrenheit, but I think its still warming up. A really strange thing is that he rests behind the heater... its so strange! Right under the suction cup, I don't know what is special about it! He did that with my old heater too (it didn't work so I exchanged it)! I was hoping he would make his resting place in the car where I could see him, but he tried it out and I guess not =(

I'm giving him HBH Betta Bites. I put them in the water, and he just lets them sit there for a looong time. I started removing them now if he doesn't eat it, as it looks like some parts of them just sank and are now under the rocks at the bottom =( I'll keep feeding him these, I'll try to cut them in half too, but I hope he starts eating! Maybe its just shock from this new environment?
FishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #8 
betta4me

yeah maybe, i know what you mean i actually just got my betta today, and hes really not eatting much either, oh and also let me know how the heater works, because i don't have one but if they are a good thing to have i might get one!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #9 
kfish

I thought the heater was an over-tank light for some reason! Sorry about that. Now I see that you have a desk lamp over the tank and the heater.

They always choose the most unlikely or inconvenient place to sleep! He could be doing it now because it's warmer over there, since the temperature is still a little cold. But my betta likes to swim between the suction cups, too. XD

Maybe he'll want to eat tomorrow after he's settled in a bit more. He could definitely still be adjusting.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

"......some where i remeber reading that bettas CAN NOT, eat flakes, because they are mostly vegetable matter, and bettas are strictly carnivores, but i could be wrong."

Yes, you are wrong. Flakes, like pellets, come in a variety of formulas - some geared towards meat eaters and others not so much. Some companies even make flakes just FOR bettas, oh my gosh!!!! A lot of bettas seem to prefer pellets - and many claim they are more nutritious - but you can train your betta to eat whatever is most convenient to you. Almost all of my bettas will eat whatever I give them - flakes OR pellets. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote