Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #1 
EmmaBlake

Just used my water test kit for the first time

I just received my API water test kit in the mail and tested my water right away..here are my readings:

pH: 8-8.2 (so close I couldn't tell)
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 0-5 (couldn't tell)

So, with these results is there anything I need to do?
EmmaBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #2 
shellieca

Are you currently fish IN cycling a new tank? Some people will say absolutely NO ammonia or nitrites & others will say up to .5 is OK, so its a bit of a judgement call on your part, what you're comfortable with. If you are of the NO ammo/nitrites then I would suggest doing ~50% water change which, depending on your tap/source water, will bring your ammo/nitrites to 0. Otherwise test in 24 hrs to see what you get & if need be do a water change.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #3 
EmmaBlake

Yes I am currently doing a fish in cycle. I got my betta unexpectedly, and I'm trying to do my best taking care of him. Are there any products I should buy to lower ammonia and pH? I have regular water conditioner that is suppose to lower pH, should I just add more of that than I usually do the next time I do a water change? I am getting worried because Marvin's fins aren't flowing as much as the used to when he swims...his fins just look droopy. He is still very active though, especially when I go up to the tank. I tried to get a good picture of him, he wasn't wanting his picture taken lol. (Sorry it's not rotated)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  68.0 KB
EmmaBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #4 
shellieca

Its better to let your Ph stay stable where it is than to alter it; your Betta will adapt. As for the ammonia, do water changes to keep it low or non-existent. I would suggest testing your tap/source water to see if contains any ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. As for his fins, they are probably growing so they will be more "droopie" while he's relaxed.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #5 
sunlight

If you have ammonia in the tap water people saying that Prime by Seachem is the best. It makes ammonia less dangerous but only for i think 24 or 48 hrs so you will need to change the water.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #6 
peachii

We have really bad tap water here so we have chosen to go the natural route with lowering the PH a little bit. Ours can get as high as 9 on a bad water change so we have added Peat Moss to our substrate and in our homemade panty hose filter cartridges we make for our tank. Peat Moss is a natural not chemical way to slowly stabilize your PH. It won't effect it do badly that it will hurt your fish, just enough to being it down enough to be comfortable for you as the owner and worry wort (myself obviously).

We also added a piece of Mopani Driftwood to each tank as it is also a natural way to control the PH. Since we made the changes our PH is all our tanks with these 2 are comfortable 7.2 to 7.8 which is much better than the 8.2 to 9 that we were seeing.

The drift wood we soaked in Extremely hot tap water for about 2 weeks, after the water went cold we poured it out and re-filled with hot water and although it still leeches a little tannins (brown) into the water it's not to dark to be annoying to me. I've seen tanks that look lovely with really dark water but I don't want it to be so dark it hurts my heavily planted live plants.

Those were the 2 easiest ways we found to naturally balance our PH. Chemicals to balance PH are a never ending cycle and are to easy to swing it badly and kill your fish - we didn't want to take the chance.
Attached Images

peachii is offline   Reply With Quote