Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #1 
charlemagne

Exclamation Crowntail with sudden appearance of fluff on fins.

When our Crowntail Charlie wandered over to greet us when we returned home this evening, I noticed extremely small clumps of cloudy fluff clinging to the ends of some his fins.

The fluff seemed to most closely resemble Columnaris. After a bit of online research, I moved Charlie to some fresh water in his cup. The transfer went smoothly and after a few gentle laps around his cup, he fell asleep. I moved his cup to the computer desk, where I could observe his fins under the desk light. Strangely, the fluff seems to have disappeared. I noticed the largest bit of it floating in the tank after I withdrew the net with Charlie -- could the net have scraped it off?

The gravel and plant have been dumped; the tank is being treated with boiling water. We don't have any medication here; we plan on waking up early to run to PetSmart, since it is 3 am here.

Tank stats:
Housing
What size is your tank? Estimated 0.65-0.85 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Variable
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets once a day OR 1 pellet twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Anywhere from a week to a month. /wince
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle Fungus Clear & Jungle Start Right

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Very small accumulations of fluff on his tail and fins, what appeared to be even smaller amounts clinging to his body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nothing unusual; animated and social during the day, fell asleep soon after I transferred him to his cup
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This evening
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No treatment other than moving to pet cup with clean water
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Very mild symptoms of fin rot around December which disappeared after a few water changes
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year

I realize Charlie's living conditions are very confining and borderline irresponsible, but as a pair of full-time uni students we haven't been able to make the best home for him. He's been very patient with us. We were saving up for a proper tank with a filter this summer, hopefully in August.
charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:10 AM   #2 
charlemagne

/)_< Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. My bad.
charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote