Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #1 
Kalamani

Is Spazz sick or am I overreacting? :(

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? 75-80F (Not sure; the thermometer I was using wasn't working right)
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, but it's hot enough in the house to keep him in the range for the summer seasons.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bettapellets and Freeze-dried bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Bettapellets is twice a day, 2 given to him at each time (I recently increased it from 3 pellets only in the middle of the day). And then Freeze-dried worms is once a week, a small pinch.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I did it twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Both 100%, sometimes the second would be about 95%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Bettasafe since our tap water is horrible.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
He's not dark black anymore, he's sort of a off-darkgray, and I THINK he has stress-stripes, but I'm not sure.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
He's lethargic, just sits at the top of his bowl at an angle (Head is up, and back fins are just slightly angled downwards)

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Yesterday. I thought to give him a day to see if he was just relaxing for a day or not.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
No, I wasn't sure if he's sick or not, or even what to do if he is. :(
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? N/A

----------

I've had Spazz for about two weeks now, he was so active and moreso around the bottom/middle of his bowl swimming "laps" around it, he used to even respond to me coming over/tapping the glass.
For the past two days though, he's become lethargic (He still reacts to feeding time though, yesterday when I dropped two pellets in he acted like he had been starving for days; but right after he's done eating, he goes back to "floating" casually at the top). He doesn't react when I tap on the glass where he is, or anywhere for that matter. He won't flare at the mirror, or even acknowledge it. He stays at the top of his bowl, head close to the surface, and floats.
As I said, I gave him all of yesterday to relax, hoping that maybe it was just a setback.. he didn't get enough sleep, he just felt like chillin', ect.
I changed the lamp back to my normal standing one, thinking that the pink one I had set up for him on the shelf was freaking him out, but I don't know.
Sometimes randomly out of no where he'll start swimming really fast around his bowl, and darting through his plant, then go back to resting at the top. When he goes back to "relaxing", he'll just slightly tilt onto his side before righting himself; maybe he has a background of swim bladder issues? Or is that even abit of a sign of some swim bladder?
I've also noticed that his back fins and top fin is clamped. >.< I don't know what to do, or if I should even be worrying like I am. I just don't want to lose him. :(

I can try and get some pictures of him tilting to the side/where he is floating at the top as soon as possible. Thank you for any help. >.< Andyes, I do know that I'm not giving him the best care possible (Bigger tank, heater, filter.. I ordered a 5-gallon setup right before he had gotten like this. Maybe he's depressed with what he's in?)
Also I was thinking of changing his water again today (I did it yesterday, but he has ME stressing out.), but I was wondering should I leave his plant/rocks in there, or take everything out?
Kalamani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #2 
Kalamani

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to edit my first post (I looked plenty of times.. xD Sigh). Quick recap, I kept checking this thread and with no replies and it closing on to 10 PM where I am, I just decided that I'd change his water completely, rinse and rub his bowl clean with my fingers in hot water, and take out everything (Colorful gravel, even his little plant). He seems to be feeling better, so maybe one of his things was stressing him out, or perhaps the plant/gravel were making him ill?
He's swimming around alot more, darting to the surface for air and then barreling himself back down to the bottom, even swimming around in little partial laps. His colors are darker too, and I fed him two pellets right after his water change.

Anyway, here is some pictures (For recapping purposes; and if anyone could help me figure out if it was his plants or something else xD)...

Right after I made the first post, he was at the top of his tank, like this.. (And he, or the tank, made icky bubbles overnight around him/where he was)

-----------

After a few hours, it was around 9 when he was at the bottom of his tank, hiding under one of his plants, and seemingly tilted on his side. He looked so pitiful and helpless. >.<

-----------------

Then this is him after the water-change, and during his feeding (In one shot he's got a pellet in his mouth, and in the other he's flared at a piece of food. xD)

--------

As you can see, a HUGE difference.
Also I noticed that his eyes went back to being really dark, instead of that light silvery color they were in the shots of him not feeling well. Do you think maybe something was wrong with his water, cause of the plant/gravel or? I really don't know - I'm just glad he seems to be feeling better, hopefully he stays like this. I don't know if I should try getting him a live plant when I get his bigger tank or not.. That kind of sucks if I can't decorate his tank later on. :P But I'm worried if I try to, he might get sick and then just up and die. Any suggestions/ideas?

P.S: It's only been within the hour of changing him, if he goes back to how he was acting I'll update. I took out the two things I thought could of been causing him to be off, so hopefully his sudden illness has been taken care of. ^^
Kalamani is offline   Reply With Quote