Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #1 
NCPanthersgurl

Post Wedding favors.

I was looking at pics from a friends wedding, and she had used goldfish as centers.

It looks beautiful sure, but what did she do with the fish after? Is that really safe, even for a few hours?

This seems to becoming a trend. Thoughts?
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #2 
TheBlueBettaFish

I would NOT do that! Because what do you do after the wedding? Flush them down the toilet? And the wax from the candle goes in the water and damages the fish...that's just SAD!
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #3 
fightergirl2710

I once asked an lfs about the same thing, they said people "rent" the fish and bowls, then when the wedding is done, they pack them up and send them back to the lfs and they're sold as pets.. May not be the case everywhere though... I went to an engagement party where the center pieces were bowls with gouramis and orchids in them...
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #4 
TheBlueBettaFish

*gasps*
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #5 
NCPanthersgurl

I know a girl who did it as the centerpiece for the main table, but it had a couple live plants, was a large jar, and she kept the fish after. One fish. I can see that being okay. But one on each table? :/
Old 07-24-2011, 02:45 AM   #6 
fightergirl2710

Those gourami were 4 to a table.. >.>
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

Our LPS did this for someones wedding, sold her the goldfish and then took them back at discount and sold them as feeder/pets. Last time I was in there, someone asked about buying all the Bettas and doing this, then taking them back to the store FOR FREE. She was willing to pay $6 per betta, have them in the bowls for reception only and then give them back to the pet store. They said no. She even knew what kind of stuff they needed and how much water conditioner that many needed and all. She was very knowledgable. Those bowls would have been bigger for the cups anyways.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:58 AM   #8 
Abby

this is actually becoming quite the trend, some fish lovers actually buy a pile of critter keepers ut to the side, have one fish on each table in a decent nice bowl and offer the fish off to good homes (with critter keepers) at the end of the night for free but the stress of the night wouldnt be great for he fish, plus heating them while they are there pretty much 12 or more hours depending how long they are there before hand and the handling and then how long it takes to get them home.
plus i know at my brothers wedding the centerpieces were vases with rosebuds 3 per vase tied at different levels floating in the tall vase looked great but a few were bumped almost toppled over and the amount of times a tables bumped with chairs or people would just be too much.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:15 AM   #9 
Smr2892

My fiance and I were just discussing this the other day, actually. We were at a petstore and a man walked up to the bettas (where I was holding myself back from purchasing number 11) and he seemed nice at first. He asked me if I was buying one of the fish, and I said no, thinking since I already have ten I'd be nice and let him take a finned friend home. I thoroughly regret that decision now. Our buddy who works there walked up and asked what he could do for the man. The guy replied "how much are the ones in these cups?"
"$7".
He picked up a pretty little multicolored guy and was examining him, when his wife walked up and said "oh jesus, just pick out 13 fish and lets go!"
That really angered me. And then,
"ooh, I like that blue one. Get him, he'll look nice." To which her husband replied "you have to be careful, some of those pretty ones are $13"
"are you kidding me? Pitch that back on the shelf. Christ, it's a fish."
>:-[
And THEN
"Oh, and do you sell those little cups they're in?"
"we usually send them home in bags"
"no, I need the cups."
That was it. I wanted to say something but I was sure that if I opened my mouth a fist would magically pop out before any words did, so I turned around and left, fuming and ranting to my fiance the whole way.
Not to say it's always that way, or the people are always like that. But I still think being bumped around by people, chairs, being picked up and possibly shaken or ran around with by children should make fish at weddings a no-no.
Smr2892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #10 
NCPanthersgurl

$13? Ha, I just payed $16 for my Callisto. -_- But I'd been watching him for three weeks and he never moved, I just had to take him.

I love the idea of fish as centerpieces, I do. I've seen some beautiful setups too. But in the end I know that's not what's best for the fish, so I wouldn't do it. I joked to my boyfriend the other day that if I had a betta spawn a couple months before we get married {note, not even engaged so it's gonna be a while, hahaha >.<} I'd give them out as party favors.
Which would be awesome if I knew they'd be taken care of. But I know not all my friends have the same respect for fish.
My boyfriend called my Jazz "just a fish" the other day. I glared at him, went to Jazz's tank and said "Jazz are you just a fish?" He swam over and did his wiggle butt dance. My fish all know when I come to their tank it either means food, change, or I'm watching them. All three instances in which for whatever reason they like showing off. >.<