Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #1 
Erin2854

I'm new :) Here is my beautiful HM, Louie & his tank!

Louie is a halfmoon, I bought him at Petsmart. I think I got lucky because their shipment JUST came in and I got to look through the shipping box of Betta's before they were even put on the shelf. I have him in a 5 gallon with an Azoo filter from drfostersmith.com. I also bought a small heater but it's been quite warm and his aquarium has been at a pretty steady 76 degrees. He eats freeze dried blood worms, brine shrimp, and Hikari Betta gold pellets. He is my first Betta and only fish currently. Love him! I am currently thinking about getting a 10 gallon and dividing it so I can get another :)
Attached Images

Erin2854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

Beautiful Betta...nice find and you did a great job on your tank....looks great....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta adventures.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #3 
fishman12

Great! 76 is pretty much the lowest you should go... And freeze dried can harm I think... But good job, you did great!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #4 
pinkninja12

I love your tank! You did a great job, and you have a beautiful betta!
pinkninja12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #5 
mernincrazy8525

i feed mine freeze dried blood worms too. you know you can still divide a 5 gallon and both will be perfectly happy and healthy.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

^ Id say keep it just him for a while, let him adjust and learn and get a feel for bettas before dividing. Its an undertaking to have two right away.

I agree, while 76 is an ok temp, the fact that its only keeping it at 76 means that heater isnt really doing its job. Mayhaps return it, if possible, and look for a stronger one?

I give the marineland 25w a good review, can adjust it, steady and reliable, for a good price.

Dont even need to order online! Woot! Petsmarts and petco.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Oh,and fersher, great tank, cute fish! Good job, and wellcccommee~
Old 07-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #8 
Erin2854

Thanks for the compliments! Well it's been 76 degrees due to the warmer temperatures in my home currently, I haven't used the heater yet but perhaps I should to raise it a little? And is freeze dried harmful? I bought san francisco bay freeze dried brine shrimp and blood worms as I read on another Betta site that these were great options (??). I also bought a starter kit of sea monkeys today aka brine shrimp (although the cute little sea monkey 'family' cartoon pics on the box make me feel kinda guilty LOL!) because I also read that the Betta's love these. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, I want to do my best for him :) I've had him for about a month now and he seems to be thriving-very active! Just caught him using his Betta hammock for the first time. How cute!
Erin2854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

No, freeze dried isnt harmful, so long as its at least 40-42% protein (higher is better). I will admit, though, Ive found my and other people's bettas tend to bloat when eating them as a staple. I like Pellets better, though, because theyre easier to feed and if I need another person to feed my fish, theres no gross-out factor.

The sea monkies are exactly as you think, go ahead and feed them, lol! I was considering getting a kit, too, but my roommate had a kit and would be sad...LOL!

I would turn the heater on and see what it does. If its not adjustable and doesnt go higher than 76-77, theres an issue.

76 is acceptable, but I like my fish from 77-79 ideally, though we all have different preferences. :D
Old 07-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #10 
fishman12

And he may become more active with a higher temp.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote