Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #1 
CottonSpider

Sorority Questions

Hi, I am new the the forum but not new to bettas. I have had bettas on and off for nearly 40 yrs but now I want to do a sorority.

I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers for. I have a 29 gal that currently holds a shebunkin but he is going to a new home Monday and 2 corys. I have crushed coral as a the substrate. Do I need to replace the coral with regular gravel? Also, do I need to do a complete scrub down of the tank and ornaments and cycle the tank again? As for diseases, the shebunkin and corys have lived together in this tank for over 5 yrs without any problems. I would appreciate any help. Thanks
CottonSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

The 29gal will make an awesome sorority tank......I would remove or change out the corral but only because it can increase the hardness and pH....being an experienced fish keeper I am sure you know that most fish can adapt to hardness and pH without issue-but if you have a choice with the pH and hardness from your source water...I would go that route....what is the pH, KH/GH of the tank water and source water...big difference??......not much difference in my water since its pretty hard to start....lol.....

Do you plan on keeping the corydoras with the sorority too, if so, they may enjoy a bit smoother substrate along with more to add to their school...that would be a nice mix IMO.....sorority and corydoras.....do you plan on any live plants too.....

As far as cleaning-since you haven't had any health issues-I would do a full clean and if you change out the substrate..it will be easier anyway....I wouldn't do anymore than just vacuum, clean the walls, decoration...etc....like you normally would do....if you leave the substrate I would do really deep vacuum for nitrate reasons since the tank has been running for 5years.....I would even double check the nitrate before you add the new females and compare it with the water they are in so you don't have a nitrate or pH shock issue.......you want to keep the nitrate 20ppm or less....

With sororities-its important to have several areas with tall items that go all the way to the top-to break the line of sight and to give the less aggressive females a way to the top to breath and rest.....lots of hiding places at all levels in the tank can help.....

And if you can-get all related females to start with...this can help a lot with aggression by using spawn sister that have always been kept together.....

Look forward to pic.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-23-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #3 
CottonSpider

Thank you very much for your reply. I think it time for a change and I will replace the substrate,do a complete scrub down and start from scratch . I like the look of the coral but I can get light colored gravel. The reason I got the coral to start with was because I had cichlids before and you probably know they need a higher ph and for me that was the easiest way to go.

I have plastic plants at this moment but I am going to put live ones for the sorority or a mix. My shebunkin liked to up root and drag the live plants all over the tank and the tank would be a mess all the time so I gave him plastic to play with, cheaper that way, lol. It sounds like the tank will need to be set up like I had it for cichlids. I had platforms at 2 levels, caves or hidey holes scattered on the levels as well as plants. What would you recommend as a good number to start off with? I was thinking 5. I have been asking around and have not been able find anyone who raises bettas but our lfs has recently started bringing in small (about 1 to 1 1/4 in nose to tip of tail) females and thought maybe if they were young enough, they may be easier to integrate. What do you think? And yes, I will be keeping the corys with the girls and probably will add 2 or 3 more corys. It will look a little strange with the 2 real big corys and some little ones scooting around. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Not just the easiest way to change the pH and harness but the safest way....I kinda thought you had kept cichlids...lol.....and yes, exact same theory with cichlids in sorority....kill that line of sight and overstock to spread aggression.....for a 29gal.....I would go with 15-18...at least 8-10 to start if they are adults...juvies you could start out with less.....

I understand about the plants and goldfish...lol.....what they don't pull up they eat.....lol......and with lots of live plants and added corydoras they might spawn for you and you might end up with a lot....well....lol.....if the girls let them live that is....lol......and I doubt that...lol......if it move they will get it......I can't even keep shrimp in my all female tanks.....I personally think the females are much gamier than males...laffs......

Another thought.....have a one time spawn of your own......great way to stock a tank and if you still have some cichlids....they are great to help with culling.....
Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #5 
CottonSpider

I have had all types of fish over the years. Cichlids were a blast. I kept them for a few years until they out grew the tank, then I decided to downsize. Hubby bought me the shebunkin for a dollar, now 5 yrs later he is 8 inches long and past time for him a bigger home. Yes, he can tear up the world. Sheesh, I felt like I was child proofing the tank. He has been fun though.

I have always liked bettas, right now I have 3, a red CT male called Gambit, a male ?? colored VT called Ug and a CT female called Mystique. Mystique I have found to be much, much more aggressive than the boys. I won't even contemplate putting her in the sorority. The 2 boys each have 5 gal tanks and the girl is in a 2.5 gal. I didn't even realize you could put females together at all until recently. This is going to be great! More bettas yay! Yes, hubby is really going to love me now.

I've never had corys spawn. Do they need a particular environmental setup or is it just whenever the mood hits them?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Depending on the type of corydora you have and most likely it the common type.....anyway...these guys are pretty easy....usually all it takes is a water change using about 10-15 degree cooler water and as long as they had been well feed to start, healthy etc.....and you have both male and female.....cool water change and the chase is on....they will scatter eggs all over the place usually on plant leaves and the glass of the tank...but this activity usually will catch the eye of the girls and they will gobble up the eggs as fast as they are dropped......unless you have lots of bushy low growing plants...like java moss, naja grass both work well for that and easy low light plants too...

Sororities are pretty neat-but can have challenges all their own...girls I have found and it seems that you have too....are pretty tough...aggressive.....lol....but the tank can look so pretty especially if you get lots of different colors....look in my album and you can see some pic of some of mine, however, some that look like girls are really males that haven't finned out yet...
I don't recommend you keep multi males....it has taken me several years and generation to successfully get males to live peacefully together long term....and lots of work.......
Old 07-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #7 
CottonSpider

Lol, I know males do not tolerate each other well. I think you misunderstood me, each of the boys have a 5 gal tank of their own, they are not sharing.

I have never kept corys in larger groups than 3 but I will be adding at least 3 more to the group, maybe 4. It will be interesting to see how this works out. I got 3 betta females this morning and have put them in their QT (separately) until I get the 29 gal fixed up as well as getting several more females. I'm trying to get all different colors as you said, but they are all beautiful so it is hard to choose. Actually,I think these 3 chose me though.

I did go to your album, love,love,love your fish! Hope mine all look as good as yours. Love the possum also. I am a vet tech by trade so I have rehabilitated alot of animals and birds. Possums are my favorite house pet believe it or not but they freak other people out, LOL!

I appreciate all your help and I will do pics as soon as the tank is up and running.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Sorry, no I didn't misunderstand....I know you have yours in separate tanks...I just always put a disclaimer of sort when I talk about how I keep mine....lol....don't want people to confuse what I do as okay or safe way to keep male Bettas......since this is a public forum.....

I love my little Pepper the possum....she is a neat little critter.....I have raised several different wild animals I have found living out in the woods....lol.....once this heat wave breaks I will set her free....since she has lived in the house and has a nice long winter coat I am afraid she may not fair well even with the acclimation I am doing with her...I have noticed a lot of the wildlife are struggling as it is and I want her to have a good chance of survival once she is released.....so cool....right now looking out my window....I am watching a doe and her twins drinking out of my pond.....so cool....I have had to keep this pond filled with the water hose on a daily bases due to the drought we are in right now....oops...now she is moving to the corn...dang....oh well....its not making corn this year anyway due to the heat.... so I guess she can have it.....