Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #1 
namelessfish

Fish acting strangely, please help

hello everyone. a few weeks ago i went to a fish store that i had never been to before and bought a delta. at first he was acting pretty normally, but things have gotten strange...

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.3 g
What temperature is your tank? around 80 degrees (i have a thermometer), but it gets a bit chillier at night.
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no (i live in the tropics so its always hot here)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? new life spectrum betta formula
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets / day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat (dechlorinator with aloe vera)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? i have not

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his spine is slightly bent upwards, and his back has a red tint to it, unlike the rest of him which is pure white
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he spends most of his time laying at the bottom of the tank, kind of on his side, and just stares forward. if i go up to the tank and touch the glass, he'll swim up like a crazy person and start flipping out, then go back to the bottom. i also noticed that he does not swim like my other bettas; he swims like a shark, moving his body from side to side
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 4 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no, but ive only had him for about 2 weeks
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure..maybe 6 months or so?

thanks to anyone who could help. i know the water changes aren't ideal (the water quality stays good, but ive heard that 100% aren't recommended because good bacteria are eliminated) but ive always done 100% with my other 6 fish and haven't had issues, definitely none like this. OTHER than the 100% water changes, could something else be causing this?
namelessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #2 
namelessfish

as of today he isn't eating..just spits out the pellets...any responses would be greatly appreciated..
Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #3 
softballipod

since you said that it gets a little chilly at night, the water temperature changing daily might be stressing him out.
softballipod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #4 
namelessfish

ok..now i took him out of his tank to clean the tank and i realized that the tips of his fins are very bloody..could this be fin rot? but ive had other fish with fin rot and their behavior didnt change..he just lays at the bottom of his tank in the exact same position all day....im leaving on vacation tomorrow and am going to leave him with my mom who won't know how to care for him unless if i know how to, but since i have no idea whats up i can't help him..responses would be appreciated, & thanks softballipod..but could the slight temp differences cause the bloody fins?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #5 
youlovegnats

Bloody fins...hmm..Is there anything sharp in the tank that he might be able to hurt himself on?
A picture would help a lot.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #6 
namelessfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
Bloody fins...hmm..Is there anything sharp in the tank that he might be able to hurt himself on?
A picture would help a lot.
there isn't. in his tank all i have are gravel, a few smooth stones and a plastic plant. i know plastic plants are supposed to be used with caution but i tested it when i bought it and its really soft. ive used it with other fish in the past with no issues. oh , and i noticed the bloody fins this morning, they were not bloody last night. i would take a picture but my camera's card broke :(
Old 07-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #7 
namelessfish

but i'll describe it: the edging of all of his fins are bloody. its not a specific spot, its the entire edging. i had some aq salt on hand so i went ahead and put a bit in his tank..does anyone have any other suggestions? like i said, im going on vacation tomorrow for 3 weeks and my mom does not have the time to clean his tank every day, maybe twice a week. so is starting an aq salt 10 day treatment a bad idea?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

Yes, don't start the salt treatment if you can't do daily 100% changes.
Have your mom still do water changes though. I can't really tell you what else to do if you aren't the one taking care of the fish :/ Just make sure you get the salt out before you leave tomorrow. I hope he isn't seriously ill
Old 07-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #9 
namelessfish

ok, so i'll do another water change tomorrow before leaving and take out the salt. i'll ask my mom to monitor him and if he seems to be getting worse i'll update this thread. this really sucks, my fish have bad timing of getting sick :( thanks for helping though :)
Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #10 
youlovegnats

Yep. No problem. I'm sure he will be ok. :)