Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #1 
mcohen416

white fuzzy caves?

So Ive had my bettas hidey hole cave for about a year now, and since Ive changed his tank from a 1.5 tank to a 2.5, Ive noticed some white fuzz attached to the cave. Ive taken it out of the tank and washed it off, scrubbed it off, and just tried to get it off every way I thought possible without using chemicals. And now, of course, I see it "growing" more... What is this stuff and what can I do to get rid of it for good?
mcohen416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #2 
Impolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcohen416 View Post
So Ive had my bettas hidey hole cave for about a year now, and since Ive changed his tank from a 1.5 tank to a 2.5, Ive noticed some white fuzz attached to the cave. Ive taken it out of the tank and washed it off, scrubbed it off, and just tried to get it off every way I thought possible without using chemicals. And now, of course, I see it "growing" more... What is this stuff and what can I do to get rid of it for good?
pic please?
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #3 
SnowySurface

I think it's bacterial growth or alegea. I see the same thing on one of my dragon decorations. I just pull it off each time it grows back. I wouldn't suggest chemical since some chemicals can harm fish. It would be easier to know if I'm right if you posted a picture. I can only assume we have the same white whispy stuff clinging to our decorations. : /
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #4 
Impolite

Try to soak in vinegar diluted with water. :P
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #5 
mcohen416

Sorry I havent posted quicker... internet is being unreliable at the moment. So this is the best picture I could get of the fuzz. If you look just all around the cave youll be able to see almost a white outline, and that is the fuzz... And this regrowth is 4 days worth.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #6 
SnowySurface

Yeah. We do have the same white fuzz problem. I just remove it each time it comes back but rinsing it in de-chlorinated water. I don't know how to make it go away permanently yet. Maybe Impolite's vinegar and water soak suggestion will work. : /
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #7 
Larsa

Id scrub that thing good and soak it in hot water for a while. I always use hot water to clean my decorations and I havnt had a problem with any more fuzz. Also maybe you should consider a full water change to make sure that stuff is gone : )
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #8 
mcohen416

Tried doing a 100% water and scrubbed the thing till my fingers hurt... it grows back in about two days. Im going to do the vinegar soak today to see if that helps.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #9 
betta dude

wonder if a cat fish would help
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote