Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #1 
fishcurl

Baffle - did I do it right?

I used an aquaclear sponge with two rubberbands over the outlets. The surface of the water only moves slightly now, but should it be super still?

Also, one of the rubberbands I used is in the water. It's also red. Is this a problem or will fishy think it's a worm?

If it matters, this is a Marineland Hex 5 gallon. Both pictures were taken when the filter was running.

fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Thats perfectly fine. You probably dont need the two bottom rubberbands. They get decrepit when constantly submerged, so they may break.

As long as it wont knock the fish around (like if he swims under it) or push him hard away or down, its fine!

Eventually, it will slow and not need a baffle. Mine did in less than 8 months.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #3 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Thats perfectly fine. You probably dont need the two bottom rubberbands. They get decrepit when constantly submerged, so they may break.

As long as it wont knock the fish around (like if he swims under it) or push him hard away or down, its fine!

do you mean the filter motor gets weaker or does it get accumilation to slow down the flow over time? i put the thin aquarium foam (doubled up) that held anacharis together and put it on my 2.5g filter, it runs like a leaky faucet and it still seems to create a flow (a floating silk plant leaf is forced to the bottom). at the moment its a constant 2-3mm wide section that flows into the tank.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Mostly the motor, but partly the gunk builds up, internally..If you let it dry for a few months (lol) it flakes back off.

This filter is a little derp at times, and is strange ebcause of where its located in the tank, but very good.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #5 
nel3

Quote:
Mostly the motor, but partly the gunk builds up, internally..If you let it dry for a few months (lol) it flakes back off.

This filter is a little derp at times, and is strange ebcause of where its located in the tank, but very good.
thank you, i'll keep it as is until the fish goes in and judges it. i'll get thicker foam if its not enough.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #6 
fishcurl

Quote:

Are you sick of me yet?

There's only one rubberband on the bottom, it looks like two because of the reflection. I'm not convinced it'll stay either. I may see what a good ol' zapstrap might accomplish.

But first, I needs a fishy to really test. Yep, all in the name of science

Speaking of science...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
(a floating silk plant leaf is forced to the bottom
I totally rushed over to my tank to try this after I read your post! What a fabu idea. Very smart. Good luck with your baffling endeavors!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #7 
PewPewPew

I use a bit of plastic wrap to see, when I do it.

Sick of you? Nooo. Im the one perusing YOU! Haha :D I dont mind or anything, ask away. I liked my 5 hex, and cant wait to put it back into commission. Tomorrow, its gonna be a plant tank for a water sprite that is literally as long as my arm, dang DX
Old 07-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #8 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcurl View Post

I totally rushed over to my tank to try this after I read your post! What a fabu idea. Very smart. Good luck with your baffling endeavors!
NP fishcurl. i think mines still a bit strong but then again thats the main issue with the aqueon 2.5g filter.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:38 AM   #9 
copperarabian

Quote:

I use hair ties since they last longer :)
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #10 
fishcurl

Now that I finally have a new buddy (squee! pictures in the picture forum), I'm still not sure if the baffle is doing its job or not. He isn't getting pushed down violently, but I still think he's being pushed around somewhat. Either that, or it's just him being spazzy.

Time will tell I guess. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I might need do do anything else.

EDIT: I went and had a closer look - it seems that when I replaced the hood etc., the baffle got knocked askew. I'm going to wait a few hours before I go in and mess with it. He seems to be having a fun time, though. I mean...if he really didn't like it, wouldn't he just go to the other side of the tank where there's no real flow?

Last edited by fishcurl; 07-24-2011 at 06:22 PM.