Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #11 
nel3

my 2.5g filter is sucking up some anacharis leaves, its depositing some in the filter pad. ive shut off the filter incase it can clog the impeller. will an AQ foam do well to baffle the filter intake and will it do long term damage to the filter motor?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #12 
PewPewPew

It shouldnt do damage. The fact that it can suck up anacharis means it can suck up fins, though, which needs to be addressed!

You can dam the intake up. It shouldnt cause harm. Just dont jam the stuff up too close to the impeller.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #13 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcurl View Post
Now that I finally have a new buddy (squee! pictures in the picture forum), I'm still not sure if the baffle is doing its job or not. He isn't getting pushed down violently, but I still think he's being pushed around somewhat. Either that, or it's just him being spazzy.

Time will tell I guess. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I might need do do anything else.

EDIT: I went and had a closer look - it seems that when I replaced the hood etc., the baffle got knocked askew. I'm going to wait a few hours before I go in and mess with it. He seems to be having a fun time, though. I mean...if he really didn't like it, wouldn't he just go to the other side of the tank where there's no real flow?
If hes not getting flung down hard, its ok. I think they DO like it, sometimes. My big guy does and the bf's neurotic, constantly glass surfing plakat loooveess a stronger current to derp around in.

I would baffle it back up, just in case it blows out a fin (makes it rip/makes a hole), but if its just a slight knock-down, its not an issue.

And copper, I used hair ties, too, but they always leech color on me ;^;
Now I just jam it between the cover of the HOB filter and the filter itself and yell at it, no bands required... Also, no sanity, but hey. I can yell at a filter if I wanna! D:< Ragh!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:21 AM   #14 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
It shouldnt do damage. The fact that it can suck up anacharis means it can suck up fins, though, which needs to be addressed!

You can dam the intake up. It shouldnt cause harm. Just dont jam the stuff up too close to the impeller.
i already address this problem for the most part. i had some AQ foam that i put inside the intake tube. it still sucks the anacharis leaves close to the intake tube but it wont enter the tube. would i need to baffle the exterior of the tube also? i'll take a pic later today of it.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #15 
Kytkattin

Why has no one used a zip tie to keep the baffle on? I have wanted to try that, but my baffle is being kept against the filter by the lid glass.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #16 
fishcurl

Thanks for following up, Pew.

I should have posted back - I adjusted the baffle on day 1 and it helped immensely. He has no problems swimming now and often hangs around the baffle.

I just have to be careful when I take the top off that I don't sqoosh the foam out of place.
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #17 
nel3

is it ok to put extra AQ foam outside of the filter intake and wrap it up with some cloth to prevent it from disentegtating and fouling the water? atm theres some in the bottom half of the intake tube.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #18 
fishcurl

Another update to the baffle.

You know it's working when your fishy builds a bubble nest on it
Attached Images

fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #19 
bettaloverforever16

XD
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote