Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #11 
Sakura8

Push the gravel as much to one side as possible. Then get a mirror and see if you can get Claude good and excited, all flaring and everything. Try and keep him on the side of the tank without the gravel. All that activity can get him to go. Don't really know how it works but it does. You can also scare the poo out of them by stressing them a lot but obviously I don't recommend that method. ^_^
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #12 
Pitluvs

You could always put the gravel in a bucket, with some tank water and then put the gravel in panty hose and tie it off. Place it back into the tank and your bacteria is still there :) Don't let the gravel dry.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 AM   #13 
Kiiarah

Haha, I am going to have a wealth of grey hairs by the time I feel like I know what he needs on my own! I just barely got there with my goldies, but it is time to learn something new I suppose. :) He is actually eating the Omega One betta buffet pellets since yesterday night, but of course it is too soon to really see much of a difference. I do know that W-mart was feeding him some really awful ones with wheat flour as, get this, the first ingredient! I couldn't believe it, who would make a mainly wheat food for a carnivore? I have a feeling that if there is something going on with him it is a result of the care he was given at the store since he has been home for such a short time. I am hoping that better food, room to swim, and a clean tank is all he will need but I worry a ton about him. I just adore him. He is actually a very calm fish. I tried the mirror trick but he seemed to have more of a "who's that handsome man" reaction than a "this is my turf!" kind of reaction. No flaring or anything, just followed it with his eyes for a bit then lost interest. He isn't acting at all sick, he is very active and curious, just not the least bit aggressive. *shrug* I sort of feel like I may be making too much of things since he is still adjusting. I have even heard some people say that they have months old bettas in perfect health who they have never once seen poop. I am terrified of stressing him. Have you heard of fish with mild issues like this clearing up when they are moved to a better housing situation?
Kiiarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:17 AM   #14 
Kiiarah

Wow that could work Pit, is there anything special I would need to do to treat the pantyhose before I put them in the tank? I thought they use nasty starches and stuff on clothes to keep them looking nice on display. His belly sure does seem to be going down. Do you guys think a second video would be clear enough to compare and see if it looks like it is closer to a normal size now? I wish I could find better pictures online that show what a normal healthy male veil tail should look like. Seems like everything I pull up looks different.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:28 AM   #15 
Pitluvs

I just rinse the panty hose in old tank water, put the rocks in it and plunk it in the tank lol I have two big black clumps of pantyhose and rocks in my 29g I just changed to sand lol

I would say wait until next feeding, and if he's not bloated, you know what it is! Don't worry, I was/am the same way.. Sakura has helped me soo much!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:28 AM   #16 
Sakura8

If you want to video him, sure, I don't mind watching and I bet Pitluvs doesn't either. But yeah, I'm going to say he's still trying to shake off the care he had at Wal-Mart. And don't worry if he doesn't flare, one of my bettas doesn't seem to know how to flare at all. He's housed next door to a betta who flares at everything and once spent an entire day flaring at his reflection in the back of his tank (not kidding, he really did, I thought he was going to blow a gill), but my nonaggressive guy just is like, "Ho-hum, how ya doin' neighbor?"
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:31 AM   #17 
Kiiarah

Haha that is exactly like Claude. At the store I fed him a pellet to make sure he would eat, and did the same thing with a crowntail they had there. They both ate eagerly so I set them aside to remember which ones seemed healthy. The crowntail immediately flared up and stared him down but Claude just swam around like it was nothing. Needless to say I moved them away from each other, but it seemed odd. I have actually looked up numerous images of males bettas just to be extra sure he really is male. xD I will try to take a second video and post it. I am not sure how well it will come out since my camera is awful, but its worth a shot. Thank you so much to both of you for being willing to talk through all this with me, it is a huge help! The vid should be posted in 10 mins or so.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #18 
Kiiarah

Hmm I just tried posting that link but it seems that it didn't go through so I will give it another shot. Sorry if it winds up double posting. Here is the video link. http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=a2044111.mp4
Old 07-24-2011, 03:01 AM   #19 
Pitluvs

OMG you, go to bed and stop worrying haha

He moves faster than any Betta I have seen. He looks perfectly healthy to me :) But I like this, you're keeping an eye on him and asking as soon as you see something. One day you'll catch something early that will save his life. You're such a good Betta Parent!!
Old 07-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #20 
Kiiarah

Oh good! Maybe it was just a full belly then. ^_^ So continue feedings as usual? I actually just looked at the clock and realized the time, I had no idea how late it had gotten. >.< lol