Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #1 
sunrise2397

Question 5 gallon tank?

so in my five gallan tank i had two little fish, i dont know what they were cause my dad got it for me as a surprise, but last night the fish had died. so last night i kinda just vacumed the bottom of the tank and sucked out like 60% of the water and filled the rest with clean treated water. i put my old betta in the tank, but it was very stressful for her she still has the stress lines. i feel like the tank isnt clean enough for her and i want to do a 100% water change and clean all the decor, but i dont want to stress her too much. so should i giver her some time before or just do it now?
sunrise2397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #2 
hodgepodgen

Is the water clear looking? And if the temp is too warm or cold that could cause problems...
hodgepodgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #3 
OwnerofSaix

I wouldn't want to keep my betta in a stressful environment, but I wouldn't want to make him even more stressed, so I understand what you mean. I suggest changing it, but introduce her to the water before throwing her in. Take a tablespoon and put a little bit of the clean water with her so she can get used to it before placing her completely into it.
OwnerofSaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #4 
sunrise2397

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgepodgen View Post
Is the water clear looking? And if the temp is too warm or cold that could cause problems...
yes the water is clear looking, but i dont think i had vacumed that well, so there is still the fish food from the other fishes. i havent checked the temperature cause i need to save up money for a thermometer and a heater, but i keep the light on and i dip my finger and the water feels fairly warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerofSaix View Post
I wouldn't want to keep my betta in a stressful environment, but I wouldn't want to make him even more stressed, so I understand what you mean. I suggest changing it, but introduce her to the water before throwing her in. Take a tablespoon and put a little bit of the clean water with her so she can get used to it before placing her completely into it.
ya im really not sure what i should do? and ya when i first introduced her to the tank i did what people always say, let her float for like 10 20 min, then add water and so on. so you think i should do a complete water change and just be gentle with her?
Old 07-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #5 
sunrise2397

so i have another question. i was looking at my girl Chick, one in 5 gallon tank, and the edges of her tail is looking a little black, i think its fin rot. so should i clean out the 5 gallon tank, and switch her with Chailai, my new girl who lives in a two gallon tank? i was thinking i should switch the girls tanks because i think it would be easier to treat the fin rot in a 2 gallon.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #6 
OwnerofSaix

Yeah, just do it gently, and switching the fin rot one to the smaller tank is a good idea, but make sure to thoroughly sanitize everything before putting the not-sick fish into that tank. If you use gravel, it might be a good idea to just put fresh new gravel (sanitized first, of course) in during the water change/cleaning tank process.
OwnerofSaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #7 
sunrise2397

so earlier i was searching my room and i found a little tank so instead of switching Chailai into the five gallon i put Chick in the little tank i found. while i treated the water and put some aquarium salt in it i let Chick float in it so she could get used to the water. i cleaned out EVERYTHING in the five gallon, so now im just waiting for Chicks fins to get better so i can out her back in. is there anything im missing?