Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #1 
MrNighttime

Question Some questions from a newbie

Greetings.
Something about my daughter saying she wanted a fish while she stayed with me over the summer sucked me into buying a betta. So I got a reg. fish bowl and a plant, some food....
A few days later, I...who grumbled about the new fish she named Pickle...was thinking how sad he looked in that bowl and maybe he would like a big tank. After all, Petco had them for a buck a gallon...a 10 gl. was 10 bucks....heck of a deal...gravel on sale...so were decorations...lets make him a better place.

So now I have questions....
1. Why am I compelled to want to buy more bettas? Is it because they are so beautiful? Is it because I think they look so unhappy and ill treated in those little damn cups?
2. How many is too many? I came this close to buying a white/green crowntail today...but I felt liek I woudl be "cheating" on Pickle. is that sad or normal?
3. Who do youtalk to about bettas in the stores. I made mention today to one of the staff that the water levels in several of the plastic cups were only half full. One female was the size of my thumb and big around and in a half cup of water. No one did anything. ANd btw...what happens to those fish if they dont sell? Do they just sit in those cups on the shelf until they die or get adopted?
4. They told me my betta didnt need a heater for a 10 gallon tank as they are hearty fish and live in varied conditions...I suspect this to be a lie.
5. Pickle seems to watch me when i enter the room. He comes closer when i get near the tank. Right now he is swimming in vertical circles...is that normal? Plus I think he is a finicky eater. He didnt touch the live flies...not big on the worms...havent seen him take a pellet. He has just gotten to where he seems to eat the flakes. And I thought cats were "gourmets"..
6. Uh...to be delicate...is he going to get lonely for female company? Should I get a female for conjugal visits once in a while...can they live together? How woudl I tell if his swimming fast in circles is play or pent up frustration?

Thanks....honestly curious
MrNighttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNighttime View Post
Greetings.
Something about my daughter saying she wanted a fish while she stayed with me over the summer sucked me into buying a betta. So I got a reg. fish bowl and a plant, some food....
A few days later, I...who grumbled about the new fish she named Pickle...was thinking how sad he looked in that bowl and maybe he would like a big tank. After all, Petco had them for a buck a gallon...a 10 gl. was 10 bucks....heck of a deal...gravel on sale...so were decorations...lets make him a better place.

1. Why am I compelled to want to buy more bettas? Is it because they are so beautiful? Is it because I think they look so unhappy and ill treated in those little damn cups?
For me..I think it is because they have the cutest little personalities..all different...
2. How many is too many? I came this close to buying a white/green crowntail today...but I felt liek I woudl be "cheating" on Pickle. is that sad or normal?
There is no set number..as long as you can properly care for them and provide them with adequate water changes..ect..I now have 8...I feel that is my limit for now.
3. Who do youtalk to about bettas in the stores. I made mention today to one of the staff that the water levels in several of the plastic cups were only half full. One female was the size of my thumb and big around and in a half cup of water. No one did anything. ANd btw...what happens to those fish if they dont sell? Do they just sit in those cups on the shelf until they die or get adopted?

4. They told me my betta didnt need a heater for a 10 gallon tank as they are hearty fish and live in varied conditions...I suspect this to be a lie.
They can live in un heated water...but they cannot thrive...It sets them up for illness by lowering their immune systems..Also, bettas get a bit sluggish in lower temperature waters.Bettas are tropical fish and need heaters unless you live somewhere very warm.
5. Pickle seems to watch me when i enter the room. He comes closer when i get near the tank. Right now he is swimming in vertical circles...is that normal? Plus I think he is a finicky eater. He didnt touch the live flies...not big on the worms...havent seen him take a pellet. He has just gotten to where he seems to eat the flakes. And I thought cats were "gourmets"..
6. Uh...to be delicate...is he going to get lonely for female company? Should I get a female for conjugal visits once in a while...can they live together? How woudl I tell if his swimming fast in circles is play or pent up frustration?

Thanks....honestly curious
I look forward to pictures!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #3 
fishcurl

Quote:
Greetings.
I think the Betta bug has bit you

Quote:
I think you need to go straight to BA (Bettas Anonymous)

Quote:
It's hit or miss with aquarium staff. They're either knowledgeable, misinformed, or out-right wrong. Take what you hear from them with a grain of salt. When in doubt, ask on these forums.

As for the fishies in the cups, I suppose it depends upon the store as to what happens. I'd like to think they take care of them until bought, but sadly I don't think that's the case.

Quote:
Complete utter tosh. See LittleBittyFish's reason.

Quote:
I've heard that soaking the food in garlic juice helps stimulate their appetite. Flakes aren't a good long-term food.

Quote:
You're just too funny

But seriously, no he doesn't need female company. They don't generally get along unless they're mating. They've been known to kill each other. And after the mating is finished, the male may attack or kill the female. Not pretty! Unless you're an experienced fish keeper, I recommend staying away from mating them.

I'm not sure about why he's swimming in circles. Does he have plants and other hidey holes to explore? Or does he only do it when he sees you? He may be equating you to food so gets excited.

One last thing to keep in mind, some people exercise their betta daily by encouraging them to flare with a mirror. It can help relieve their boredom if indeed they are bored.
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #4 
MrNighttime

Oh yes, I have plants...well, the silk kind....and decotations for him to swim around and hide in. He just seems to swim in circles around the front of the tank alot.
How can you tell if your fish is happy anyway?
MrNighttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #5 
pianoxlove64

Hey I have stated your questions below and put my answers below each one. Hope you find them helpful and informative!

1. First of all, DO NOT PUT TWO BETTAS TOGETHER they WILL kill eachother no doubt about it. If you do wanna buy another one get a tank divider.

2. As I said above dont put them in the same tank without a divider. Idk how many is too many you have to answer that yourself by asking yourself these questions
Do I have room for more bettas including a whole new bowl or divider?
Do I have the time and the motivation to clean their tanks every week and feed them every day and night?
Bettas are expensive can I afford them?
if you said no to any of these questions DO NOT GET MORE THAN ONE!

3. Basically the staff in the stores dont give a damn :/ it sucks. Yes mostly the fish just die. I would file a complaint to the manager if i were you.

4. Ive never used heaters and my little betta has been fine

5. Yes thats normal hes just excited cause he knows youll give him food mine does the same thing. Idk about the food I only give mine 2 pellets in the morning 2 pellets at night. but wat ur saying sounds like a ton of food for the little guy dont overfeed him!!!

6. I wouldnt risk getting a female they might kill eachother! but heres an article about it
About two weeks before you intend to spawn the bettas, you should start conditioning them. Feed them on as much high protein food as possible. One or two feeds of a tiny amount of raw meat (liver is best) or cooked fish or shellfish will do them good. Feed live food if at all possible. Keep this up for two weeks. The female should start to look plump (full of eggs).

The best thing to do is to set up a breeding tank. I use a five gallon plastic tub. Use a heater set to around 24 C. Add some plastic plants for shelter. I provide a styrofoam cup cut in half for him to build a bubblenest under. Half fill the tank and add the male. Let him settle in for a few days. Add a large glass jar to the tank and fill it with tank water. Put the female in this jar and watch them closely. Both fish should start to appear somewhat excited and the male will blow a bubblenest if he has not done so already. If he has, he will make it larger and thicker, alternating nest building with displaying to the female. If the female is interested, she will spend most of the time watching him and by the second or third day in the tank will develop broad vertical bars on her body.

When the nest is completed, the female full of eggs and the fish are interested in each other, release the female. At this point they must be watched closely. You should check on them every hour or so because things could get nasty. DO NOT release the female if she is acting uninterested.

In the wild if a female encountered a male's display and did not like what she saw or was not ready to breed, she could choose to leave. When in a tank, she does not have this option. Staying indicates interest in mating, so if she stays close to him but does not accept his advances the confused male could decide she is a threat and attack or even kill him.

If all goes well, they will spawn within a day or so. Some flaring or fighting is to be expected, but if either fish acts distressed or is very badly hurt, put the female back in the jar and wait to see what happens.

Once they have finished spawning you should remove the female as soon as possible. Otherwise the male will think she still contains eggs - again because in the wild, she would leave. When she rejects his attempts to continue spawning he could kill her. He may also see her as a threat to the eggs and attempt to drive her away.

Read More http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ta-female.html

Hope I helped and good luck with your new betta/bettas
pianoxlove64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #6 
pianoxlove64

oh and for number 1 i mean if u dont wanna buy another tank then get a divider for you original tank
pianoxlove64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #7 
kumi

And just to keep it all gender equitable, the female has been known to kill the male. She's ready to mate, he's not, he's not building nests, etc. Only way she can get rid of him in a tank to make room for a better mate is it do him in. Also, what WOULD you do with the gazillion baby bettas if it did work?

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #8 
Silverfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcurl View Post
I think the Betta bug has bit you

I think you need to go straight to BA (Bettas Anonymous)
Just don't go to AB(aquabid) by mistake, you'll develop MTS (multi tank syndrome)!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #9 
guardianfyre

Depends on the store as to what happens while the bettas are there. PetSmart's store policy is to change the water twice weekly (Monday & Friday). I try to keep up with how long the bettas have been there and, when people ask me which one I would pick, I'll point them towards the ones that have been there longest.
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote