Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #1 
TinaMaxis

My fish seems to have a cut on her head or something, help!

I'm really worried about my Betta fish, Mystique. I just noticed this today, she seems to have some kind of white dot on her head. I don't know if it's a cut from something or if it's apart of a disease, but I need to know what's wrong so I can help her!

Here's a picture of her, with something else that might be wrong, but I think it's normal. What's that bump on her? Is it eggs or something? It kind of looks like there's a cut underneath her...

And I really could not get a good photo of her cut, so I made a video, I hope it's ok, feel free to skip parts and all. What could that be? Does she look ok otherwise? I'm worried that this is because I don't have a heater for her. I always check the thermometer and the temp is usually above 75 so I don't know if something is still wrong. I'm trying to get a heater as soon as possible. If she's really in danger I will do whatever I can.
Anyways, here's the video. I'd say a pretty good shot of what's going on is around 3:54.

Thanks for your help!
TinaMaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:56 AM   #2 
TinaMaxis

I can't seem to be able to edit my post. So, sorry for the lack of information!
She's living in a ten gallon tank wit a filter, there are real plants in it, no fake ones that she could get cut on, but there is a big tree cave decoration. I've only had her a few weeks, and am doing weekly 25% water changes and I feed her once a day with flaky food.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #3 
Sakura8

A little hard to tell from the video too, photobucket has taken to posting all videos sideways for some reason. But it does look like a cut and some missing scales. Judging from how curious she was exploring her tree decoration, she may have scraped her head in there somewhere. It should heal on its own. Warm water WOULD help speed this up, plus I noticed she looks slightly clamped, but I understand if you can't get a heater immediately, they are expensive, just try and get one within the next week, if possible. 75 is a little chilly for her, she'd do best at 78-80.

Also, you may want to switch Mystique to pellets if you can. They're easier to feed and won't cloud up the water. Good brands to try are Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, New Life Spectrum Betta formula, and Petsmart's Top Fin Color-Enhancing Betta Bits. You may need to crush the pellet up a bit the first few times you feed her. But of course, this is totally up to you. If she loves her flakes, why upset her with needless change? I hope she heals up soon, she's a pretty girl.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #4 
TinaMaxis

Thanks so much! I'll see what I can do about the heater, but are you sure it isn't any type of infection? I'm worried it may be due to the fact that I turned off the filter overnight for two nights and it may have caused something to go wrong?

Also, what's that bump underneath her in the picture? What does it mean or have to do with?

I'm worried something is wrong even though she seems normal, she swims all over the place and eats when I feed her. I think she's happy but sometimes she gets those horizontal stripes, which I read mean that she could be stressed.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #5 
Sakura8

If you're worried about an infection you can take her out of her tank and put her in a small QT container for treatment with aquarium salt, which you can get at pet stores. It can be the cup she came in from the pet store, a small bowl, a 1 gallon tank, pretty much any clean container that you don't mind changing the water in every day. I use 8 cup rectangular Gladware for QT.

In something really big, mix up 1 gallon of dechlorinated water and a 1 tsp of aquarium salt. Let the salt dissolve, then pour it into the container and put her in, possibly acclimating her a bit so she doesn't get shocked. You will probably want to cover the top with clingwrap (holes poked in it) so she can't jump out. Change 100% of the water every day and refill with the salt treatment for five days. After this you can put her back in her tank. The aquarium salt will help her create her slime coat, which wards off infection. Another thing that might help her is API Stress Coat, which is a water conditioner that detoxifies chlorine etc but also has extra ingredients that help with the slime coat and healing.

Since Mystique is a female, I think the bulge on her belly is her getting eggy. Females can do this even when they aren't anywhere near a male. Some females just stay kind of eggy all the time. However, if she starts having trouble swimming or she stops pooping, post back. And I've noticed females get the stress stripes easily. When does Mystique get them? Like during water changes or if she sees something big walk by her tank etc? It could be because she is a bit cold, too. As long as she's not laying on the bottom of her tank with super clamped fins, she should be fine.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to post.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #6 
TinaMaxis

Thanks! I've heard of API Stress Coat conditioner before, I think I will get it and give it to her, so if there is anything wrong that will help.

She usually gets stripes when I change the water or if she goes too close to the filter and the bubbles push her away. I feel like she kinda gets pissed off. :P

And she swims around a lot, so I hope that means she's ok, because she never just sits at the bottom for very long. Usually when she's near the gravel it's because she's digging her head into it, maybe looking for food or something.

And I'm just wonder because I don't have a tank cover, is it ok to just put plastic wrap or foil around the top and poke holes into it?

Anyways, thanks again, you've been very, very helpful!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #7 
Silverfang

saran wrap with a few holes poked in it has been advised many a time for people in desperate need of a way to keep the fishies in their tanks/bowls/QT set up
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #8 
inkrealm

yeah, I agree, looks like a cut. my boy got one a few weeks after I brought him home when he headbutted my fingernail while trying to see if it was edible, rofl. silly boy <3 it healed up soon after though, no issue at all.
just keep the water really clean and try to keep it warm. ^-^
if it doesn't go away in a week add in some fresh water aquarium salt, API's is great. ^-^ I really don't think it should be any problem though :D

the stripes may be the female equivalent of a stress streak, which means they're stressed, redundant ofcourse ^-^;
I've heard it's not uncommon for females to have stripes on a regular basis though, so that may be why hers come so easily, she may just be mildly peeved like you said x3

oops--
and make sure if you get the salt, that you get FRESH WATER aquarium salt, ^-^;
and just for the record, no other salt is considered a suitable substitute for this, and can even be harmful if used instead, so you know, stay away from that ^-^;

the only other salt I hear use of is Epsom, but this is used for other issues, not what you need, and has to be done so with more care, since it's commonly used for swelling, digestion, and similar issues, but if used for pine coning, which can look like swelling, can result in being fatal :( so if you wanna use Epsom be sure to post here first and get multiple opinions ^-^
FW AQ is used for most infections though :D
it looks like a scratch to me, and as already stated, probably came from the way she explores her tree :P so I wouldn't be too worried ^-^; <3
I am happy to see how well you take care of her and pay attention to her though :D key for a healthy happy fish ^-^

they're so funny sometimes, the messes they get into ^-^;

Last edited by inkrealm; 07-24-2011 at 09:21 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Since she's striping up during water changes or when the filter pushes her, she's just mad and stressed. She'll get over it. Females really do stripe up easily, if you ask me.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #10 
TinaMaxis

Thanks. I will get the API Stress Coat when I can and possibly a heater this week. I bought some Aquarium salt today and I was just wondering, it says a teaspoon per ten gallons(and my tank is 10g), if I put that in, and a week later I do a water change, do I have to keep up with the aquarium salt every week or can I just stop using it one week and not go back to it? Won't my fish get used to it and freak out if I stop adding it?