Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #11 
GunsABlazin

You only do AQ salt for 10 days, and on the container, (at least on mine) it says not to add more salt unless you do a 100% change, as the salt dosnt compleatly disolve. If you have any live plants in your tank, use a qt.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #12 
Sakura8

With the salt, you don't want to put it in your 10g if you have live plants. The salt can kill them. You'll want to do a salt treatment in a QT container. To be honest, you can probably just use the Stress Coat and she'll heal up fine. Just be sure to keep the water super clean for the next week (maybe a few 25% changes during the week). If you still want to use the salt to be on the safe side, follow these instructions:

Take her out of her tank and put her in a small QT container for treatment with aquarium salt, which you can get at pet stores. It can be the cup she came in from the pet store, a small bowl, a 1 gallon tank, pretty much any clean container that you don't mind changing the water in every day. I use 8 cup rectangular Gladware for QT.

In something really big, mix up 1 gallon of dechlorinated water and a 1 tsp of aquarium salt. Let the salt dissolve, then pour it into the container and put her in, possibly acclimating her a bit so she doesn't get shocked. You will probably want to cover the top with clingwrap (holes poked in it) so she can't jump out. Change 100% of the water every day and refill with the salt treatment for five days. After this you can put her back in her tank. The aquarium salt will help her create her slime coat, which wards off infection.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #13 
TinaMaxis

Thanks everyone. I'll just get the API Stress Coat and use that. I'm sure she'll be fine. I think I was just freaking out because this is my first Betta fish since I was a kid and kept them in bowls. I just want her to be with me for as long as possible and not get sick. I want to make sure I don't miss anything and know what I'm doing. :)
TinaMaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #14 
Sakura8

You're already off to a good start by seeking advice here on the forum. And don't worry, we all freak out about our bettas because we love them. Keep us posted on how she's doing.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #15 
TinaMaxis

Thanks. So, I don't have plants anymore. :( I tried to save them, but my filter keeps sucking them out of the gravel and destroying them, so they're gone. I'd put them further away from the filter, but there's no way because the one decoration I have in the tank is too big to be moved to the other side. Anyways, I know this isn't related to this thread, but it's a small question and I don't think it needs its own thread.

I don't have an tank cover and I tried using plastic wrap but it doesn't seem to stay on well and I don't want it to fall in and Mystique get caught up in it and die. Can I use aluminum foil instead? Thanks!

Edit: Can I use a canvas? Like with the wood and everything but the painted side up? Or just a blank canvas? I know that sounds strange, but I do have a canvases that would perfectly cover most of the tank and leave a quarter of the top free.

This is what I did:

Last edited by TinaMaxis; 07-26-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #16 
inkrealm

if you wanna let the light in, you could use chicken wire.... you know, the type with the tiny squares ^-^;
I used it for my 15 G with my frogs and it works excellently. you just cut a rectangle bigger then the tank on all sides, find where the sides are and mark them somehow on the wire, then bend the wire there to make edeges in the shape of the tank ( I did this by stepping on it, because it's super effective and if you use good shoes won't cut you X3; )
you just do this to the front and back sides, and leave the left and right alone except for folding in the sharp edges so no-one gets cut.
that way the front and and back sides hug/latch onto the tank, and you can slide it left and right to open it up ^-^ or visa versa you can only do it to the left and right sides, so you can slide it frontwards and backwards.
if you don't wanna do that much you could also just cut a rectangle a little bigger than the top on all sides, fold the pointed bits under/over, and sit it on the top and put something on one corner to hold it down. ^-^
if you wanna try that I can get a picture for you if it'd be more useful. ^-^; the canvas should work just as well with air holes poked in it though I think ^3^

for the plants could you maybe plant them around the deco? or baffle the filter perhaps ^-^; doesn't it catch your fish?

Last edited by inkrealm; 07-26-2011 at 04:20 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #17 
TinaMaxis

That could work, but what if she jumps and gets cut or caught in the wire? Do you think just leaving the canvas the way it is will be alright?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #18 
inkrealm

I don't think she'd jump at it.. they're pretty smart even when they don't act like it ^-^; and it's too small for them to get caught,
does the canvas have holes drilled in? if you drill in holes pretty much all over it it should be fine. just make sure they can get oxygen and that there's enough opening/s for it to get in and out so it stays fresh and all. ^-^
Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #19 
TinaMaxis

Thanks. I think I'll just try to get some chicken wire, then. I don't want to drill holes in a perfectly good canvas. lol. :)
Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #20 
inkrealm

@trinamaxis
thanks, yeah, mesh wire, chicken wire, just make sure it has the little squares, :D it would be hard to use the canvas after that x3;
if you want a picture to see what I mean lemme know ^-^
my mom says you can try the craftstore for a similar substitute that may be lighter weight :D