Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #11 
vette91

Sakura, I was the exact same way when i had my first fry show up. Thats the one thing I was excited for when I bought guppies. I had never bred any fish and this one would hopefully be easy haha. I put them all in a breeder net like you have. After a week or so and they had grown some I released them and they all survived and they all look absolutely beautiful.
they look similar to this just with a little more yellow. Mine are "fancy" guppies and that makes a difference.
But best of luck!
vette91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Sooo beautiful! I think the tank at the pet store said fancy guppies although only a few of them had truly fancy tails (most were tuxedos, which is the male I ended up with). I have no idea who the father is, of course, but momma guppy has an orange tail with just a teeeeny bit of cobra markings.

Well, this has certainly been a learning adventure, thank you so much for helping me, vette91. I'll post back if the fry makes it to a week old.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #13 
vette91

Best of luck! I hope your one so far makes it and I hope you get a few more :)
you can message me if you have any more questions or anything :)
Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Why would momma guppy just keel over all of a sudden? I just checked on her and she started jumping and darting, then fell over. She's dying and I feel so bad, I don't know how to help her. I put her in a shallow Gladware. :( I checked her water parameters and ammonia is fine. One of my other adult guppy girls died yesterday, too. :/ I know my pH is a little higher, 7.4-7.8 but everything else checks out. Before she was moved to her own tank, momma guppy was with the others in quarantine in a 3g with a box filter (3 guppies in all) and daily 75% water changes. I know it's not perfect but it was all I had for quarantine.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #15 
vette91

how recently did you purchase the fish?
It might be some sort of disease or maybe a shock if the water was much different than the store water? Do you/they use aquarium salt?
I don't think its anything you did. It might be a problem with the birth? but that does not account for the other ones death.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #16 
Sakura8

I got them three days ago. The male and the one female who does not appear pregnant yet are both fine. I bought them from a store that is only a few miles from me and I know they use API Stress Coat like me so the water parameters should be close to similar. I have no idea if they use aquarium salt, I'll ask when I go back in tomorrow. That's a good idea, I would never have thought of that.

I wonder if it has to do with them being pregnant. The other guppy who died was also pregnant but not as advanced as momma guppy was. I wonder if it was a disease or if both guppies really were on the older side and age/stress of a new home got them. I suppose I'll never know. :/ I've been feeding all the guppies TetraColor crisps then switched to TetraColor granules so they wouldn't cloud the water as much. Plus a few bloodworms here and there. They never notice the food until it sinks to the bottom, though. I also tried feeding New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula pellets but they just got sucked into the filter before the guppies noticed them.

The little fry is still alive though. Considering it's my first fry, I would not have expected it to outlive its mother.

I did order a book on guppies too, should arrive Mon-Tues. I'm hoping it'll have some good pics of pregnant guppies and the birthing process so I know what to look for.

Thanks again for your help, vette91.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #17 
thePWNISHER

Well just from what I know of guppies from forums and not ever owning any, I can tell that if the mother was only dropping 1 fry a day and she didn't drop more than the first 2 she had some sort of complication since usually they will drop the batch within hours of beginning not days at a time. I think that one died from birthing complications for sure if what you've said so far is accurate. The other one dying I have no idea but if the others seem fine then I wouldn't attribute it to a major disease since it would have affected all of the fish you got from the same tank most likely. At least you got a fry to replace the mother so you didn't lose out there. It will give you a more fun experience raising your own fish.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #18 
fightergirl2710

I had a molly who was darting around because she couldn't get her babies out at all, she died pregnant.. It must have been some complication like pwnisher said.. Some people perform caesarians on freshly deceased pregnant fish to get the babies out because otherwise the babies will suffocate and die. I couldn't bring myself to do that though...
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #19 
Sakura8

Thanks PWNISHER and Fighter, I think you are both right. Everything I've read says they drop them fast and she just never did. And yup, I'm loving my little fry but also super nervous raising it. I'll be happy when (if) it reaches the week old mark and gets a little stronger.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #20 
fightergirl2710

Don't worry, live bearer fry are easy compared to betta fry.. A few mistakes are allowed lol! Out of all my 50 fry, 20 got eaten and 1 died for some reason.. They're quite hardy. They're double the size of a new born betta :D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote