Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #1 
Sarahlydear

Snails eating my plants

Hello everyone;
So I recent acquired some live plants and snails.
I have 3 banana plants, multiple moss balls and some other long plant that I don't know the name of but it is an actual underwater plant.

I also have about 8 trumpet snails and a single ramhorn snail.
I got these snails because I was told they wouldn't eat my plants but they've almost completely destroyed my banana plant leaves. In fact they chewed off the stems on two of them so it's just the banana root part.
I put some lettuce and spinach in the tank for them to eat instead but they're still going after my plants.

Can I do anything? Should I just take them out(attempt) and put them in a tank with fake plants? Is there another food I can give them to leave my plants alone?

Any info or advice would be great. :)
Thanks.
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Normally trumpet and ramshorns do not eat healthy plants unless the plant is already dying to start...they do feed on dead/dying plant material....your plants may have been grown emersed and going through the change to submersed growth now that they are fully underwater....once the emersed leaf is submersed they will start to die/melt as they grow the submersed leaf.....hopefully this is what you are seeing......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #3 
Sarahlydear

The store where I bought them had them completely submerged...but they did go through a few hours out of water (stupid Best Buy took FOREVER getting my laptop and everything worked out and then it was an hr ride home)...hmm I guess I'll see how they are in a few days and if they are still eating everything I think I'll take them out.
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote