Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #1 
NCBettaMom

Happy Betta!

HI new here! I just got my second Betta! Years ago I got a Betta and the pet store people said they didn't need much and it lived only 6 months. This one is in a 1 gallon tank(for now). I have had him 3 weeks now and he seems happy swimming all over the tank all day long. He has the aerator(sp) stone. He has a lid and is in a warm place in the house. I hope he will continue to be happy!
NCBettaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #2 
Sarahlydear

Welcome! :)
Sounds good and it's better than those stupid cups they keep them in the store. A majority of the time pet store employees have no idea what a betta needs and give out bad info so good job in getting online and doing your own research! By looking around this site you'll learn a lot and will hopefully be able to keep him around for 2-3years. :)
It sounds like your going to be getting a bigger tank (he will love you for it) and you are keeping him warm is which a biggy. So great start.
PS: We LOVE pictures. ;)
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #3 
NCBettaMom

Ok. So, I was considering upgrading soon. Hopefully not too soon. My daughter's cousin had 2 Betta in a goldfish bowl the bowl broke and they are now in a large bowl and since then one died. I don't want their other female betta to die so, I was thinking about giving them my 1 gallon. At least it's a step up.

If I do this soon is there any step I need to take before moving him over properly without him being stressed out? I love this fish! He is beautiful and full of personality so, I don't want to cause him any undue stress.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #4 
Sarahlydear

Pretty much just the adjusting;

let him float in a cup(or bag or whatever you have close that will work) on the water for 10minutes,
pour some of the new water in the cup,
float for another 10 minutes,
repeat.
Until you feel he has adjusted.

Then he is going to be stressed the first day but he'll get over it quickly and start feeling right at home.
The biggest thing is shocking the fish with a different temp and water so you want to slowly adjust him and give him the first day alone to adjust and explore without a prying eye. ;)
Old 07-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #5 
NCBettaMom

Okay thanks! He has too be upgraded soon. Today his water felt too cold.

He seems happy. But, just afraid it may make him stressed soon.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #6 
Sarahlydear

The way I see it the sooner you get him in there the better.
It means he adjusts sooner and the stress isn't drawn out
and getting him in a clean, warm, safe environment is the most important thing right now.
I've had 9 bettas and all of them have adjusted really well and fast to a new environment;
as long as you give them some alone time to get comfortable.

The fact that he seems happy means that he is comfortable with you and being able to see you (after give him the night to adjust) will help him.

A betta I gave to a friend a week ago still came up to me today when I randomly showed up.

Spend sometime with him the next day and he'll feel more comfortable.

Betta aren't nearly as delicate as you think; he'll be fine. :) *pinky promise*
Old 07-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #7 
NCBettaMom

Thank you for your response! As soon as I get the money(should be soon). And convince my hubby he needs a bigger, warmer tank. He gives me the whole speech about them living in small bowls with no filter, etc. UH! lol
Old 07-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #8 
TonyK

My wife gave me that same speech I went ahead and bought the tuff anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBettaMom View Post
Thank you for your response! As soon as I get the money(should be soon). And convince my hubby he needs a bigger, warmer tank. He gives me the whole speech about them living in small bowls with no filter, etc. UH! lol
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #9 
Toxi86

Personally, I think the adjusting and set-up time depends on what you're planning on moving him into. What is the size of this new tank you're planning on setting up for him? Are you giving away the gravel and decorations you've had with him from the start? Are you adding in a full filtration system and heater? Or just a heater and sticking with the air stone?

It all makes a difference. As well as which conditioner you're currently using and when you are buying the new tank. I'd say, start with a 3 day set-up before moving him to the new tank. I'm guessing a larger space means around 2.5 gal from the 1 gal he's in now?

Look into the cycle times/process for any new tank before you make the big move and start the setup as soon as possible. Then remember the steps for switching him into the new home once it's begun to cycle. It's not just a shock to get more space - it's a shock of the mini eco-system for each new home/tank. And that's part of what changes things.

BUT! Either way, you've got the right idea for both your little guy and your niece's little lady. So congratulations and welcome to the forums! ^^
Toxi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Tell your Hubby we as humans can live in a closet with a small window too, but do we really want to? That helped mine see the light.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote