Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #1 
Garett24

Is my betta getting better?

Let me start off and say this im in college so i have limited space and money, but I really like my betta fish. I have him in a one gallon cube and 100% water change it every two days. He was fine for about 2 months then he started getting fin rot. Then he was tired all the time. Then he started not eating. I took action.

1st I knew it mustev been to cold. Well, I couldn't find a small heater so Im doing something really weird. I found a coffee cup heater, cut cardboard and spaced it about an eight of an inch from the bottom of the cube. Very skeptical at first, but the thermometer I just bought has been reading a steady 80.

2nd, got him melafix. I he seems hungry but when he finally goes to chew it its like he has no enrygy to chew.

I am doig water changes and using melafix and his color looks better but his fins are still clamped. I HATE CLAMPED FINS :(. Any suggestions????

Also theres some white stuff on the little plant I got him (artificail) I always wipe it off but wut if he ate it and its growing in his mouth? Thanks
Garett24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....need some more information...

Filter, live plants, additives used, tank mate, type of food and appetite...

1gal with 100% water changes every 2 days......this may be part of the problem.....too many water changes long term can stress the fish and this removes not just the bad bacteria but good bacteria....its a balance.......the fish needs to be exposed to both good and bad so that it can develop antibodies and build a strong immune response....

How cold was the water before you added the heat

Once we get him well....I would only make twice weekly water changes...depending on if its filtered or if you have live plants.....50% twice a week for filtered and 50% and 100% if unfiltered to maintain water quality and build a strong immune response....

Right now-I would stop the melafix and start him on aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and tannins along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days

I would QT-place him in a small container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76F range

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the salt 2tsp/gal and tannins...either IAL or dried Oak leaf and use this water for 100% daily water changes for the next 10 days.....

And a FYI...if this is a glass tank...I would not use the coffee cup heater thing....I just read in TFH magazine about one and it cracked the glass tank.......what is the water temp without the heating device.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-24-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #3 
Garett24

Just one artificial plant, without heat its 72. Eats Top Fin Color Enhancing betta bits. He chills on the plant leaf all day while flapping his pectoral fins and just stares at me. When I drop in food he rushes really fast to it and is excited, once in mouth he does one lazy chew then spits it out.. No filter, no tank mates, standard de chlorinator. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Have you tried any other type of food or live food like mosquito larva...it sounds like he want to eat but doesn't like the food.....is this new food or less than 6 months old.....

Although 72F is a tiny bit on the cool side...its not that cool IMO/E...but every Betta can be different in their tolerance to water temp

Can you tell a difference in behavior with the different temps...72-vs-80.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #5 
inkrealm

melafix is bad all the way around. if you have to use it you should only do about 1/4 the regular dose, since he's a betta, and melafix can severely hurt their labyrinth organ.
it's also only good for after fixing the fin rot, to promote fin regrowth, it won't actually cure the fin rot. for fin regrowth, there are much better and more natural options. ^-^; and I've heard stress coat works well, and is probably safer than melafix >.< this is still a last resort though ^-^;
the best thing for fin rot, is what OFL already suggested, and fresh water. in bad cases of fin rot you may use a short-term dose of /fresh water/ -aquarium- salt to help kill the disease faster. I like API's ^-^;
but fresh water is always the best route to try first. just a side note ^-^;
OFL however, is quite possibly, the best hands you could be in, so I'm sure she'll have your betta buddy fixed up in no time, definitely take her advice. :3

also if you'd like to try some plants, moneywort is really excellent. it's cheap ( at least around here ), comes in clusters, and from my experience, is pretty much impossible to kill ^-^;
it'll help keep down the ammonia, and your fish will love it for sleeping in and what not :D
no maintenance what so ever, no special soil, nothing. ^-^
just be sure to take the metal ring off and/or rubber bands, as from what I noticed it'll kill them.
just bury the stem down into the gravel or get a hand full of the gravel, stuff the stem down, and dump it over it. it's a pain to get planted, but you'll find it worth it ^-^
if possible, 50% water changes are also less stressful than 100's, as long as you get the gravel well in case of debri. I'm sure if any of this is wrong someone will correct me ^-^ but from reading and experience it's seemed true for me. ^-^;
hope he perks up soon ^-^
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #6 
Garett24

Thanks, Ill try and do what you guys said. I took the heater off and I'll change the water less. I really need a bigger tank but one that I can still fit on a desk. I was thinking a 2.5 minibow? Has a built in filter and then I could put some plants in it.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #7 
inkrealm

you mean bowl? ^-^;
if you do, mine personally didn't like the round shape too much >.<;
every fish is different though ^-^
one thing about the bowls, I did hear they get less oxygen. since bettas breathe air anyway though that may be fine, I'm sure OFL or someone could confirm on that one ^-^

I recently got a 2.5 myself as a QT tank, I got the rectangular one though, and I have to say it's very nice ^-^
it's fairly small, you can check one out in the store,
and I think they're kinda cheap. you should be able to put in a heater no worries.

I heard the lids are hard to come by for these, just a thought though, you could make one from wire or mesh. I have a 15 G I did that with, and it works great ^-^
they have small-squared chicken wire you could easily use, long as you're careful not to cut yourself on it while shaping it ^-^;
since it won't be in the tank it works great ^-^ you just tuck the sharp edges under ( or over if you won't as long as you remember not to grab them ), and make sure there's enough space on each side that they're not in the tank, and then fit the front and back sides to squeeze under the ledge of the tank, while leaving the left and right sides open, so you can slide it on and off ^-^ or I guess you could do visa versa and slide it frontwards and backwards, depending on where the tank's at ^-^
Old 07-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #8 
guardianfyre

MiniBOW, not bowl. Curved front, usually acrylic.

guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:57 AM   #9 
inkrealm

Ah, our pet shops around here are really tiny ^-^; thanks haha :D
Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

I had a minibow on my desk till i got a 5 gallon hex.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote