Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #1 
UglyMuffin777

Cool Walmart or Aquabid?

Hello, since I have a 10g and a 25g (not sure if it is 20g or 30g so I'll put it in the middle ) I have been thinking about keeping a female sorionty (not sure exactly what its called) since my little man cosmo has actually been turning a healthy sky blue color with pink/lavender fins instead of his normal "gray". This is making me a proud mama so naturally I want to keep a couple more bettas :D Cosmo now is getting ready to go in the 10g tank. I am thinking about dividing the 10g so that I may keep ANOTHER male betta, and with the empty 25g which (hopefully) will allow me to keep some females to. Cursed bettas, you can never stop at just one, huh? SO, since I am rambling on a bit, I will move on to my reason for posting this: Should I rescue a couple of near-death bettas with extreme tail rot and such, or should I pull out my hard earned cash and purchase a couple of high-quality aquabid bettas? Or Both??? Hmmmmm........
UglyMuffin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

Im actually planning to start a sorority to!
Its going to have to wait until I get back to my apartment and settle down everyone and then start up the tank

Ive decided to go with Walmart and petsmart rescues, this way I have a good reason to buy them (if I dont get these ratty little near death ones no one will!)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #3 
kumi

How about in between? Healthy looking bettas from whatever your better lfs is? Unless you have a lot of experience (and you might, I don't know!) I think it would be difficult to get a sorority going with fish that are not healthy to begin with. Even if you keep them separate for a quarantine period to prevent them from passing diseases around, you'll have the additional problem of them likely not all being ready to go into the larger tank at the same time. Some could need to be treated longer than others. People have certainly made it work, however.

Looking forward to the reports and photos whichever way you decide to go!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #4 
lessandler

I would caution putting in bettas that are near death and ill with expensive aquabid bettas unless you plan on quarantining each individually until they are all well. And since a sorority has to be a certain size from the start, I think you would be looking at a lot of individual tanks for a long time before enjoying your community tank.

I think kumi is right, a nice LFS with healthy bettas sounds like the best choice. Even if you got them all from aquabid, the stress of travel can bring out disease and they will potentially need to be quarantined longer than one you know is already healthy.

Sounds like a fun tank though when its all done! :)
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #5 
UglyMuffin777

Yea I guess putting 5-6 females each in their own quarantine tank wouldn't be the best choice :( Too bad I didn't keep my dad's 150g tank, that would be fun :D
Old 07-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

I would go with walmart but not necessarily near death ones. I pick ones that need TLC but have a good chance of survival - still fairly alert as opposed to lying on their side unable to move. Plus, I live in alaska. I do NOT trust the USPS to deliver things in a timely manner I fish from thailand would probably be near death by the time it got here
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #7 
lessandler

Since I have got a fish from aquabid and am awaiting 2 more, I have to say I don't think they will be near death unless there is something seriously wrong with your seller and/or transhipper. But they will probably be stressed and may need to be medicated.

I don't want to necessarily steer you away from aquabid if your heart is set on it. If you are going to quarantine them all together (I guess there is no way around that one!)any illness will be shared and needed to be treated together. But the good news is that most disease is remedied by good water conditions anyway.

For the most part, breeders in thailand keep their fish in pretty ideal conditions since it would be a major profit loss for them not to and will always replace a dead or dying fish. And you will have to spend a great deal less when you purchase fish all at once too. Your greatest risks of shipping are fin biting (not an issue with females) and possible ammonia burn if left in the bag too long. I did have the seemingly rare luck to get a fish with skin and gill flukes that required medication but he is recovering fine and the breeder is sending me a free fish of my choice even though he survived and recovered.

I don't have a walmart near me so I don't know anything about their fish, just thought I would share my understanding of aquabid though.

And I am sure that any choice you make with be doing those ladies a world of good. Look forward to seeing it :)
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #8 
pinkninja12

I think you should get walmart "rescues" but the "rescues" that you buy shouldnt nessacarily be on the brink of death
pinkninja12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

How about a U.S. seller on AquaBid? No transshipping fees that way! :)

Here are my personal favorite three sellers & they all have females available right now:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...wseller&M1247m

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ler&84elmo2001

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ler&Hopdiggity

I have personally dealt with each of these sellers multiple times and had nothing but good experiences with them!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #10 
UglyMuffin777

@Lion Mom: Thats nice, cause my friends have had to pay up to 70$ dollars for a 25$ betta fish, just for all of those silly shipping fees! I'll check those out.

Tags
aquabid, betta, disease, rescue, walmart