Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #11 
Sivan

Try testing the chemical levels. You can alter the water and make it pure for the fish. I had toxic lead water in College Land for my fish to deal with, but he seemed fine and used to the water. Bringing him back to cleaner water at home when I traveled was more of a challenge because I had to adjust him.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #12 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsABlazin View Post
becuse though iv never delt with city water for fish, iv tasted it. tastes all salty. Also, alot of people on here talk about what they have to do with the cuty water to make it useable. Sorry, it was just a sugestion.
Im extremly sorry for my rude comment! I was having a bad day and regret saying that to you. Having a bad day is not an excuse because either way it was not the right thing to say. I wish i could take it back.

Again Im so sorry and hope you can forgive me for that! All comments are welcome!

-BL2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Found this answer on Yahoo!

Thank you for that tip. That helped out a lot! Also I did use brita water, but i didn't put the water directly from the brita into the tank, after the brita i put the water in a pot and boiled it. I had to wait until today for the water to be room temperature and put him into it.

So that is what i did. Would that be okay?

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #13 
lessandler

I use a mix of city and reverse osmosis water in order to keep my fish at 7.0 neutral ph, but I have used just city water. What are the parameters of your city water in terms of ph, kh and gh?

My guess (without knowing your previous parameters and current ones) is that your ph was dramatically different from your well to your city (they usually are). And as Pitluvs suggested that you needed to carefully acclimate your fish. That would be particularly true if they died suddenly.

Here is a good link on acclimation:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/se.../acclimate.htm

Other than that it is difficult to answer what is wrong with your city water without knowing what area you live in, the parameters (ph, ammonia levels, nitrites, nitrates etc.) and how your fish died.
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #14 
bettalover2033

Well i now live in Philadelphia PA. I noticed that when i boiled the water that the fish didnt die. I also know that by boiling the water my betta and other fish are going to be missing out on important nutrients.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote