Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #1 
Smashy2019

Exclamation Clumped fins help!!!

I have a betta that looks like his fins are glued, Ive only had him for about a month and he is in a .5 gallon betta marina tank, I really dont know why they advertise this size tank for bettas if its not good for them. Im still new with fish and recently lost a betta to swim bladder disease literally about 2 weeks ago at the max i really dont want to lose another one ive read the posts in here, but i live about 40 minutes from a pet store and i dont have a thermometer for his tank, he likes to lay on the bottom of the tank lately, no problem swimming and will puff up at a mirror and get excited, but his fins look like they are stuck together at the tips tonight when I put the mirror up he didnt seem as excited as usual earlier today he was normal puffing up and getting excited but he doesnt seem as energetic as usual... im about ready to give up on trying to own fish i also have a 10g tank with 16 little fish in it 5 neon tetras 5 guppies and 6 forktailed rainbows there used to be 8 forktails the other day i found one dead and tonight ive looked everywhere in the tank and there is no sign of him did a 100% tank change on both the betta tank and the 10g tank yesterday both tanks have good ph lvls but popo (the betta) seems to be having issues with his fins
Smashy2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #2 
MaggieLynn

That is way way to small, have you every heard of the aquablock? its 2 pints of water and they give you horrible care instructions yet it claims its for bettas, perfect example of people just trying to make a buck. you should really up grade him asap! also you might want to buy a heater and a thermometer also asap. bettas are tropical fish and need to be in water 78-80 degrees. how often are you doing water changes for him in a tank that small daily is minimum also what are you adding anything to the water like a conditioner? it would help if you filled out the stick at the top of the disease forum. My guess though is no heater and way to small of a tank. try even a 1.5 gallon tank 2.5 would be even better.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Smashy, how often are you changing the water? It should be every day with a .5 gallon tank. If you're really worried about him being in such a small space, I'd suggest you find a clean, clean Rubbermaid storage container if you have one and fill that with dechlorinated water and a plastic plant or two. One person on here has some bettas in the vegetable crisper drawer from a refrigerator (the drawer is not in the fridge still, by the way). As long as it's clean and you have a way to cover it but leave some air holes. That will provide him with more space until you can get to the pet store, hopefully this week, to get him a bigger tank. I'd recommend an Aqueon Minibow 2 or 5 (2 gallon or 5 gallon) depending on your space and money. And a heater. He'll need a heater. Filters are optional, heaters really aren't. While he is in his temporary home, do water changes every day, 25-50%.

Popo probably is clamping up his fins because he has ammonia in his tank and is a bit cold. Once he gets some better housing, he should perk up.

Your 10 gallon is okay because those are all schooling fish with small bioloads. Don't add any more fish to it and you'll be fine. Just be sure you keep up with the water changes, 25-50% a week for the 10gallon. And please don't give up on fish. I'm learning schooling fish are prone to all sorts of things and die rather suddenly for no apparent reason. I just lost two of my guppies and one of my cory cats in two days and I still don't know why (water is fine, did water changes today and yesterday, it's a mystery).
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #4 
Pitluvs

Ditto on the fish, especially new ones. I have 3 Danios that are lasting forever, but I also had 3 Danios that dropped one by one. Picky fish really.

You've been given all the advice you need here, water changes once a day in a tank that small (I have a 0.8g Marina here for quaranteen time) and upgrade as soon as possible. Get him a nice toasty heater, 25watts is good.

Do you have a walmart close? I see people picking up glass cookie jars with lids, they are 2gallons each. It would be a cheap and good temp home until you can get an aquarium for him.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Yeah, I really wish those Marina tanks came in 1 galllon, or even better, 2 gallon. They're really pretty tanks.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:42 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

I was saying the same thing, I wish they all came in 2g. I love the one I got for Hughie, but I am sure he'll love the upgrade more.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #7 
Smashy2019

I change the tank every couple days and i have nutrifin betta plus conditioner i also have nutrifin aqua plus that i use on the bigger tank, i have a big clear drawer that i can put him in temporarily and ill try to get to town either tomorrow or the next day to get him a heater he still eats fine and has a real plant and a fake plant in his tank he was fine in the tank before but i guess he has gotten a bit bigger so hes not as happy in the little tank, i never read the instructions to the marina tank because i figured they were too general ive always looked on the internet for best instruction so far with the big tank i have done a 100% change every week because it gets a little grudgy even with the filter and I didnt want to make the fish sick
also another question my guppys like to kinda nip at eachother it almost looks like theyre dancing sometimes is that normal? as far as i know they are all male, none look female they are all bright with big colourful tails but im not an expert :P
Old 07-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Okay, it's good you can get him into a bigger container for now. I think he has gotten bigger and probably more active as well because he's settling in. He'll be happy with a bigger tank, even if it's only 1 gallon. If you do get a 1 gallon tank, you will want to change the water every other day, about 90% of it.

Uhm, to the best of my knowledge male guppies can be nippy with each other but usually little or no harm is done as long as there are more than two of them. Just kind of keep an eye on them and make sure no one guppy is getting picked on too much. I think they should be fine.

With your big tank, since it has a filter, you want to do only 50% changes a week. 100% can disrupt the nitrogen cycle and cause an ammonia spike because you can remove too much of the beneficial bacteria from the substrate. If the tank still looks dirty even with the filter, take the filter media and rinse it in old tank water. If it's been a long time since you've changed the media, you may want to do that. If your filter has several media inserts, change only one out so you don't lose all the bacteria. Like, my filter has three inserts: a sponge, carbon, and some bio-media inserts. I changed the bio-media this month, next month I'll change the carbon. Like that.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #9 
MaggieLynn

yeah every couple days is not good at all, the ammonia is probably what is making him sick,the drawer would work for now just cover it so he cant jump out, bettas like to jump every now and then. I wish i could help you with the guppies but im now sure =/ never had guppies.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #10 
Smashy2019

Ive had him in the drawer for about 10 hours and his belly and face is now a sort of greyish colour he still hides by his plant im starting to worry, the water is clean its not too cold.. probably not ideal since he is a tropical fish, but he seems happier since i turned on the light in my room should i put a light near his tank to keep him happy? he still eats fine, but doesnt puff up as much with the light im thinking about getting him the same type of 10g tank the other fish have its only 40 bucks and the water is warmer Nugget was happy in it until i bought the little fish (big mistake, this is how i lost nugget he killed a sick one and got sick) I especially dont want to lose popo because i bought him for my 6 year old sister and he was fine till recently. should i be worried about the colour change?

As for the guppies there are 5 and they all seem to nip at eachother i havent really noticed any bullying on one particular fish

Tags
clot fins betta sick tank