Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 01:52 AM   #11 
Pitluvs

I freeze tank water into cubes, a tray for each tank just in case it gets too warm here. I just plop mine in.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #12 
jilly

What is the average life span of these fish, in your personal experience?
jilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:02 AM   #13 
Pataflafla

They generally live 2-4 years, but can live longer. I think the longest anyone has recorded is 8 years or somewhere around there.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #14 
jilly

Bubbles seems a little better this morning...his breathing seems more normal! I have a little bit more hope. What is the very best way to treat his water or are all the water conditioners for bettas basically the same?
jilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #15 
Sakura8

I'm so glad Bubbles made it through the night. Clean water is a great help to him. For us it would be like getting out of the smoggy city into the countryside.

I would treat his water with API Stress Coat or Seachem Prime. Both are very good water conditioners that detoxify chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals. A lot of water conditioners out there don't detoxify heavy metals. Also, both neutralize ammonia by binding it with an agent to turn it into the less toxic ammonium. The ammonia is still there so you still have to do frequent water changes, it's just in a slightly less toxic form. Stress Coat also has added ingredients for helping fish heal from injuries etc. too.

I hope Bubbles continues to recover, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #16 
MaggieLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I freeze tank water into cubes, a tray for each tank just in case it gets too warm here. I just plop mine in.
wow i wonder why no one though of that? smart i just might do that seeing as we have been having heat waves and my tank temps have spiked. Thanks for the tip pitluvs!
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #17 
MaggieLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'm so glad Bubbles made it through the night. Clean water is a great help to him. For us it would be like getting out of the smoggy city into the countryside.

I would treat his water with API Stress Coat or Seachem Prime. Both are very good water conditioners that detoxify chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals. A lot of water conditioners out there don't detoxify heavy metals. Also, both neutralize ammonia by binding it with an agent to turn it into the less toxic ammonium. The ammonia is still there so you still have to do frequent water changes, it's just in a slightly less toxic form. Stress Coat also has added ingredients for helping fish heal from injuries etc. too.

I hope Bubbles continues to recover, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I love stress coat. thats the only thing i use and will use. especially in my sorority wear some nipping goes on, thats why i like the two in one action of stress coat, healing power and water conditioner.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deformity, mouth