Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #1 
darkness45

Setting Up A New Tank

so currently i'm lookin after my gf's halfmoon betta, and originally I have already prepared all the needed stuff for the fish such as 2.5gallon tank, heater, filter, caves, decoration along with the weekly water changes. Right now when she comes back i'm personally thinkin of investin my money into my own betta, so a few questions that i have are...

i know of aquabid and i was wondering if there was any seller that was more reputable than the other...or majority of them are the same? mind u i live in Canada, so i wanna noe how i would go of getting them shipped.

now in terms of getting a new betta, what's usually the youngest i can get them at? would it be better to get it locally at a Big Al's or stick with Aquabid?

now i'm looking to also buy a 5 gallon GLASS tank for my betta, and i'm open to any options that are out there.

and finally in terms of equipment what's a reputable company for heater and filter? price is not really a concern, though i heard marineland is pretty good though, and light might be another thing because my room is in the basement so pretty much no lights unless i turn them on.

thanks =)

and be welcome to provide any other additional information that might make my future new betta very happy =)...
darkness45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness45 View Post
so currently i'm lookin after my gf's halfmoon betta, and originally I have already prepared all the needed stuff for the fish such as 2.5gallon tank, heater, filter, caves, decoration along with the weekly water changes. Right now when she comes back i'm personally thinkin of investin my money into my own betta, so a few questions that i have are...

i know of aquabid and i was wondering if there was any seller that was more reputable than the other...or majority of them are the same? mind u i live in Canada, so i wanna noe how i would go of getting them shipped.

now in terms of getting a new betta, what's usually the youngest i can get them at? would it be better to get it locally at a Big Al's or stick with Aquabid?

now i'm looking to also buy a 5 gallon GLASS tank for my betta, and i'm open to any options that are out there.

and finally in terms of equipment what's a reputable company for heater and filter? price is not really a concern, though i heard marineland is pretty good though, and light might be another thing because my room is in the basement so pretty much no lights unless i turn them on.

thanks =)

and be welcome to provide any other additional information that might make my future new betta very happy =)...
Marineland is* a great brand, I like them a lot and have their heaters, filter and tanks.

Why, if I may ask, are you looking into glass? 5 gallon glass tanks are usually just those square ones- so as long as its in your price range, looks ok and comes with a hood (theyre hard to find for 5 gallons by themselves, expensive, too!), just get whatever. If it comes in a kit with a filter, meh- get it.

I personally like my 5's acrylic, because that way they're stronger and not quite as heavy as a glass tank would be. I have a marineland 5 gallon hex that I love, its got a greatttt filter and hood.

Walmart sells a good 5 gallon kit that's glass from tetra (and other brands, both are fine):
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653

The filter will need a baffle for a betta, but all in all, its a good tank and a good price.

Im not a big fan of Tetra, as a brand.. Theyre eh. Their betta stuff is pretty crappy, minus their betta pellets-which are alright.

DO NOTTT buy a tetra brand heater! Gyugh! Theyre BAD! D:<

Umumm...

As for other betta stuff, I suggest a baffled filter, soft plants-- preferably silk over plastic (which may snag fins) and live over silk, because they rock! ;)

Remember to get conditioner, food thats at least 41-2% protein, to have plants that are soft, a heater and thermometer for temps of about 76-81'F and of course, lots of love-- these little fish are great fun and full of personality.

You dont seem new to bettas, but I have two threads that outline things that are useful to keeping them happy:

(For general care)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078

For live plants... YEAH! Totally trying to get you into live ;D
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ht=plant+guide

I still subscribe to all of my threads that I've created, and will still reply to any question I can answer thats posted in them, if you need help. :3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #3 
darkness45

I'm looking at either the 5 Hex from Marineland or the 6.6 gallon fluval chi, the reason why i might side for the Chi is simply because i hate scratches on acrylic so i kinda need the opinion on how easily it is to scratch the tank? I know that the fluval chi is infamous for the crappy light switch location but the 6.6 gallon one has a separate remote switch for the light.

I'll pass on anythin from walmart because i'm located in Toronto (Canada) so....and walmart is located far out in the rural in our city.

Ya I know Tetra sells crap products, right now i'm feeding my fish stuff from New Life Spectrum and will probably stick to it, simply because unlike hikari wheat isn't the first ingredient. and my current betta seems to enjoy the NLS pellets more.

Currently in my tank setup i have silk plants but might invest into live plants but i need to noe which plant doesn't require too much maintence, and doesn't grow too much at all, cuz i'm not too fond of doin in-water gardening.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #4 
Pitluvs

Remember with the Fluval, they are meant to be filled to the top. I wouldn't as your Betta needs air. They can be a pain to clean, but are they every pretty!

I bought off Aquabid once, from CanadaBettas. You can go to their site by searching for them on Google, or you can search them on Facebook. There is not much for Bettas on there sadly. I think there is one out in BC that breeds them. I do know a great breeder in Nova Scotia that will ship as well. Her prices are much cheaper. CanadaBettas is in Montreal. The fish are great pet qualities for $25+ and anything showy is over $35. They send either Canada Post or by Greyhound. Unless it gets to Toronto in a day, I wouldn't use the bus. I did, and I lost my fish a few days later. Hrmmmm... but ya. You can contact the breeder from there and they will help you with everything.

You can also buy from Thailand and have it shipped to Dave in Montreal for $5. Then Dave will send the fish to you the same way a breeder would.

It's about $20-40 for shipping.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #5 
darkness45

So would it be better to op for the 5 gallon hex? I just want the best and not just a plain square tank, and how bad does the acrylic on marine land scratch?
Old 07-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Out can scratch kinda bad, but not terribly.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #7 
lessandler

I have the fluval chi 6.6 and it is not the edge that has no room to breathe when filled to the top.

I like that the filtration (when you use the rock tray and fill it) is quiet, mellow without mods and the size is decent for 1 betta. The lights can only grow few plants. Right now I have a java fern and 2 anubias and so far so good. Java fern has a few brown spots but it came with them. Not the greatest tank for a variety of plants.

The other is issue is that there is no top. So if you fill it to the top, you risk the fish jumping. I keep mine at the minimum water level or lower and the filter works just fine and I don't believe the fish can jump out. Others have made DIY tops.

Some people have water evaporation issues where they need to top it off often, but I don't find that to be a big problem and mine is heated. Just keep some water ready to go and top it off maybe couple times a week tops.

No problems scratching it though and it is cycling really well which I was concerned about becuase there is very little filter media. The remote is a nice touch too.

Never had the other tank so can't say.

Will post pics of the tank soon.

Last edited by lessandler; 07-24-2011 at 05:21 PM.
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #8 
lessandler

Also an option is the fluval edge, but you have to modify it.

You cannot put the water to the top but leave space for air (which is actually ideal becuase it remains humid and warm).

You need to get the sponge filter attachment to the intake tube and lower the filter stream. You may or may not need to baffle it as well depending upon the betta and how he swims and eats.

If you are a big guy, the access hole may feel small.

And lastly the halogen lights can create algae, heat the tank up way to high and aren't ideal for plants. I replaced mine with mr11 leds from ebay. And with that change you can grow some low light plants. Many many threads on other forums are devoted to modifying these tanks into super planted tanks so if you have the time and $$ to do it you can.

They are not the cheapest tanks but if you don't mind modifying the hell of out it it and don't want a "plain square" it fits the bill.

I just love that you can't see cords, filters and if you get thier accessories (edge heater, algae magnet) it looks so minimal. The filter is basically an aquaclear meant for larger tank and has tons of biomedia. I just finished a fishless cycle on one and it's cycling over 4 ppm ammonia in less than 24hrs easily. So it's pretty stable for a small tank.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #9 
darkness45

Ok I might opt for the fluval chi, 6.6 gallon model, cuz I know the edge has some issues and I'm not really too fond of acrylic cuz I have a lobster tank made out of acrlyic and it scratches really bad. So I'm probably going to have one plant in the tank, which is the lowest maintenance one that doesn't really need much care?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #10 
lessandler

I love anubias, but the tank is so high that they can look a bit dwarfed in there and they grow so slowly. If I redid mine I would put in some tall driftwood coming out the top and attach anubias nana or nana pettite to give the scape some height for a amano look. I made the mistake of getting java fern and hoping it gets tall enough to make it look right, when I doubt that the lights will stimulate enough growth for tall fronds.

Just have to be careful which driftwood you get and make sure there is nothing that can tear fins.

Or maybe you can do a marimo moss ball bonsai tree with it. Check out the pic I posted on the marimo moss ball thread for an idea of what it looks like. Marimo should be fine if you keep the lights on for at least 8 hours, as would java moss, but java moss can be a mess and collect mulm if you just throw it in there.

Last edited by lessandler; 07-24-2011 at 06:41 PM.