Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #1 
VJM

Betta First Aid Kit

I would like to have a stock of meds on hand, since my fish will be office fish and it could be hard to skip out to the store. I don't want my guys to have to wait if they need help.

What should I get? AQ and Epsom salt seem like a no brainer. And staying far away from anything that ends in -fix.

What would you have in your Betta medicine cabinet?
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #2 
DizzyD

sound like an interesting topic. Hope you get some answers
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #3 
aemaki09

What I have::
AQ and Epsom salts, jungle fungus cure, maracyn plus, and parasite guard. I try to have them all on hand at all times so I have something for practically every possible occasion. You don't have to have those exact brands, but what you should get is something for fungus, parasites, and bacteria.
You should also have a QT, air pump and extra airstones (in case you need them for medicating, plus u should always toss the old one after treatment since they are porous) and a couple extra heaters lying around in case one goes out.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #4 
Nicci Lu

I highly recommend ordering some Kanaplex to have on hand for bacterial infections. For many of us, it has to ordered online which can take days- that sucks when when you have a sick patient. But if if you have some on hand- it's the best full spectrum antibiotic I've used and, in my experience, is the least stressful on fish.

Frozen daphnia is good to have for constipation issues. Store it in the freezer in your break room- everyone will wonder what heck that nut eats at home.

Vita-Chem and StressCoat or StressGuard for when your baby needs extra healing power.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #5 
tekkguy

IAL, oak leaves, organic tea bags - something for tannins.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #6 
aemaki09

Oh yeah +1 to what everyone else said, especially the stress coat. It's a miracle worker
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #7 
VJM

So far, we have:

1. aquarium salt
2. Epsom salt
3. Jungle Fungus Cure
4. Maracyn Plus
5. Parasite Guard
6. Kanaplex
7. Stresscoat/ Stressguard
8. Frozen daphnia
9. Tannin source: IAL/ oak leaves/ organic tea bags

Hardware:
1. QT tank
2. airstone
3. airpump
4. adjustable heater

Are any of the medications duplicating each other? For example, if I have Kanaplex, do I need Maracyn?

Super helpful, everybody. I definitely need to do a little shopping for emergency supplies. What else? Anyone disagree with what is already listed?
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #8 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
So far, we have:

1. aquarium salt
2. Epsom salt
3. Jungle Fungus Cure
4. Maracyn Plus
5. Parasite Guard
6. Kanaplex
7. Stresscoat/ Stressguard
8. Frozen daphnia
9. Tannin source: IAL/ oak leaves/ organic tea bags

Hardware:
1. QT tank
2. airstone
3. airpump
4. adjustable heater

Are any of the medications duplicating each other? For example, if I have Kanaplex, do I need Maracyn?

Super helpful, everybody. I definitely need to do a little shopping for emergency supplies. What else? Anyone disagree with what is already listed?
Super Ick cure by API.

You might better consolidated info by extracting from the Sticky on Disease 1 &2 IMHO.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #9 
sarahspins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
I highly recommend ordering some Kanaplex to have on hand for bacterial infections. For many of us, it has to ordered online which can take days- that sucks when when you have a sick patient. But if if you have some on hand- it's the best full spectrum antibiotic I've used and, in my experience, is the least stressful on fish.
I agree with this 100%. I recently ordered some fish who arrived showing signs of columnaris a couple of days after I got them (I lost half the order within 48 hours of them arriving) and since I had some Kanaplex on hand I was able to treat the ones that remained and I didn't lose any more after starting the meds. They are still in quarantine and doing fine now but I'm convinced the Kanaplex saved what's left.

Also a good argument to ALWAYS have an empty quarantine tank (with a heater and some sort of filter) ready to use.. if I hadn't quarantined those fish I would have probably wiped out everything in my 55g before I suspected something was wrong.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #10 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
I agree with this 100%. I recently ordered some fish who arrived showing signs of columnaris a couple of days after I got them (I lost half the order within 48 hours of them arriving) and since I had some Kanaplex on hand I was able to treat the ones that remained and I didn't lose any more after starting the meds. They are still in quarantine and doing fine now but I'm convinced the Kanaplex saved what's left.

Also a good argument to ALWAYS have an empty quarantine tank (with a heater and some sort of filter) ready to use.. if I hadn't quarantined those fish I would have probably wiped out everything in my 55g before I suspected something was wrong.
So is kanaplex for internal and Paraguard for external treatment ?
Kanaplex:
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../KanaPlex.html

Paraguard:
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ParaGuard.html
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote