Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #11 
Abby

urgh i dont know i posted on there too im stumped. lesson to everyone QT NEW FISH!
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #12 
Sakura8

It's not fin rot but when I goggled fin melt all I got were recipes for tuna melt sandwiches. :/ I think it's a fungus, maybe?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #13 
Sakura8

It looks like the fins are "clubbing" where they are curling up and together. What is your pH? And do you notice any of the fins falling off or just that weird "drip" effect?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #14 
Abby

it all bonding together to get the drip look and the ph is a little high im waiting on water to filter for the water change
Old 07-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #15 
Sakura8

I'm wondering if the pH is making the fins curl together to get that bonded look. How are they acting otherwise? Eating and swimming okay or not?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Interesting....

This is a 10gal divided tank...with 5 males correct....

Filter, live plants, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, additives used, any tank mates like shrimp or snails, appetite, treatment tried, do you have a water test kit to test water prams....tell me about your source water......tap, well, filtered...etc......
Behavior..any changes or changes in appetite....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #17 
Abby

This is a 10gal divided tank...with 5 males correct....
*not sure its size and yes it holds 6 fish but there is only 5

Filter yes, live plants no, how much and how often are the water changes 25% two -three times a week, water temp 78 - 82f, additives used none, any tank mates like shrimp or snails none, appetite 3-4 pellets a night, treatment tried started melafix going to try a fungal medication i have on hand, do you have a water test kit to test water prams the only one up was PH it was 7.6 ive done two wterchanges since....tell me about your source water......tap, well, filtered RO lab grade filtered water, strips ALL chemicals...etc......
Behavior..any changes or changes in appetite....no changes in any, Willy had the curved fin when i bought him i thought it was just cured due to water quality not a sickness, but then the melt turned his white Butterfly pattern an orange-brown and then the binding and drippy look hit.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

If this RO unit is in your house the filter/membrane may need changed....RO water pH is generally much lower..I think 6-7..but not 100% sure on that...I suspect that is the problems since all the fish are starting to show symptoms...if you are getting/buying the RO water ask them what the pH is supposed to be......RO is near pure- all minerals removed which in turn drops the pH and on the flip side...if the unit is working properly...it lack the needed minerals for long term health.....you can either use a 50/50 tap/RO water mix or use an additive to add the minerals back.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-28-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:37 AM   #19 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
If this RO unit is in your house the filter/membrane may need changed....RO water pH is generally much lower..I think 6-7..but not 100% sure on that...I suspect that is the problems since all the fish are starting to show symptoms...if you are getting/buying the RO water ask them what the pH is supposed to be......RO is near pure- all minerals removed which in turn drops the pH and on the flip side...if the unit is working properly...it lack the needed minerals for long term health.....you can either use a 50/50 tap/RO water mix or use an additive to add the minerals back.

Ro was tested it is ph 6 ive tested it a few times and it never changes
Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #20 
Oldfishlady

What are you doing to the water to change it from 6 to 7.6......