Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #1 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Question Figuring out what I need.

Hello! I joined yesterday after scanning the forums for about two weeks (My brain is full and happy with betta fisheh faces and info. ^-^) as a guest, so I'm new at this site.

I'm not going to get a betta for quite a bit, $5 allowance and do-dads around the house take a while to earn up any big amount. And bunnies need to eat too.

I know that cycling is (Pretty much) the first step to getting a fish, and I'll end up doing the shrimp one when the time comes. What I'd like to know is just what do I need to have in order to do the cycling?

Here's the list of what I think I need, and some links:
Tank:
http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Ecl.../dp/B000260GEC
Hiding place/mug

Silk plant or two
Decor
Test kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Pharm...1612697&sr=1-2
Gravel
Raw shrimp and a mesh shrimpy bag

And things that I'm not sure that I need to cycle a tank:
Water conditioning: http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-433-Pr...pr_product_top
Heater:
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-A...1002507&sr=8-1
Thermometer

Anything that I missed, or that I don't need for cycling?
And if you have any opinions on the tank or test kit or water conditioner or heater I'm all for hearing them! Recommendations are welcome as well!
HazelrahLayna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

You'll need a good Betta food pellet or flake, freeze dried bloodworms are treats only. You could get some frozen food too, like brine shrimp or bloodworms :)

You'll always need water conditioner, for as long as you have a betta in the tank. You'll always need a heater and thermometer too. For cycling, it depends on if you are doing an "Fish In" cycle or no. If you're doing a "Fish In" cycle then you need to know how to do proper water changes to avoid any damage to your betta.

You'll also want a small cheapo tank, many a small kritter keeper in case your fish gets sick. Better so you can put a few inches of water in the small container so he can get to the top easier.

You'll also NEED:
Aquairum Salt
Epsom Salt

Would be good to have:
Super Ich by API
Maracyn
Maracyn II
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #3 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
You'll need a good Betta food pellet or flake, freeze dried bloodworms are treats only. You could get some frozen food too, like brine shrimp or bloodworms :)

You'll always need water conditioner, for as long as you have a betta in the tank. You'll always need a heater and thermometer too. For cycling, it depends on if you are doing an "Fish In" cycle or no. If you're doing a "Fish In" cycle then you need to know how to do proper water changes to avoid any damage to your betta.

You'll also want a small cheapo tank, many a small kritter keeper in case your fish gets sick. Better so you can put a few inches of water in the small container so he can get to the top easier.

You'll also NEED:
Aquairum Salt
Epsom Salt

Would be good to have:
Super Ich by API
Maracyn
Maracyn II
Yup, I'm already planning on using the Omega one buffet pellets for food, and freeze dried blood worms for once a week treats.

Hehe, and yes, I knew about the conditioning and heater and thermometer. But do you need them for cycling? Oh, and I'm planning on doing a fishless one. (That's why I'm doing the shrimp...Just pointing it out.)

Hm, I think I may have to add the salts to my 'get after I cycle the tank' list. Maybe even the small tank....Might need to think on that. I don't really know about the other stuff. I think that I'll wait on them, but I'll note them in just case I ever need them.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

I figured you were asking about stuff for the Betta in general lol Knowing what I know now and the heartbreaks I've faced, I would always suggest having salts and a spare small tank when you bring a Betta home.

Myself, I did use my filter/heater when I was cycling, but not a thermometer. I don't know what shrimp need, never used that method. And sorry, I should have been more clear! haha I meant a fish in cycle as in using a live creature. We won't do fish in cycle, but instead use ammonia to add to the tank.

Do you know anyone that could give you some tank water with the filter shaken off into it? You can add that to your tank to help seed it. Even if someone has an old filter you can toss on your tank, it would help tons.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #5 
Tisia

I'd use a conditioner right away since chlorine in the water would kill the bacteria you're trying to grow. they also grow faster with heat so having the heater in there will help
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #6 
HazelrahLayna7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I figured you were asking about stuff for the Betta in general lol Knowing what I know now and the heartbreaks I've faced, I would always suggest having salts and a spare small tank when you bring a Betta home.

Myself, I did use my filter/heater when I was cycling, but not a thermometer. I don't know what shrimp need, never used that method. And sorry, I should have been more clear! haha I meant a fish in cycle as in using a live creature. We won't do fish in cycle, but instead use ammonia to add to the tank.

Do you know anyone that could give you some tank water with the filter shaken off into it? You can add that to your tank to help seed it. Even if someone has an old filter you can toss on your tank, it would help tons.
Sounds like a good reason to have those at hand.

LOL...And, um, the shrimp I'll be using are the kind that you get at kroger or a sea food place. The, eh, not alive kind. So, erm, I guess that counts as a fishless? XD This is getting funny!

The tank I have in mind has a filter in it (Awesome!!! XD) so I'll be able to get that working.
And, well, a lady my mom works with has quite a few betta's...But I don't know if she has them filtered. I think I'll just start from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
I'd use a conditioner right away since chlorine in the water would kill the bacteria you're trying to grow. they also grow faster with heat so having the heater in there will help
Ah, thanks you! So when I get ready to cycle the tank I'll also get a heater and a thermometer and conditioner.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #7 
Tisia

I cranked my heater up to about 84 while cycling to try and make the process quicker
oh, and these heaters are a bit more than the one you listed, but adjustables are nice to have, especially if your betta gets sick and needs some kind of treatment
Old 07-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #8 
HazelrahLayna7

Quote:
I cranked my heater up to about 84 while cycling to try and make the process quicker
oh, and these heaters are a bit more than the one you listed, but adjustables are nice to have, especially if your betta gets sick and needs some kind of treatment
THAT is a good idea.

Oooooo!!!! I've seen that one before, never really looked at it though. I like the idea of an adjustable heater much better!! *Goes and switches the Hydor for the Elite*
Old 07-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #9 
Tisia

it takes a little bit of trial and error to get the temp right since it's just a knob you turn towards either warmer or cooler, but they work pretty well and aren't very expensive, lol
Old 07-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #10 
HazelrahLayna7

Quote:
it takes a little bit of trial and error to get the temp right since it's just a knob you turn towards either warmer or cooler, but they work pretty well and aren't very expensive, lol
Lol, cool, its good that I'll have time to fiddle around with it one I start cycling a tank!

I have a question for anyone. What is the difference between this: http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Pharm...1619046&sr=8-2 and this: http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Pharmaceuticals-401M-Testing-Ammonia/dp/B001EUE808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311620326&sr=8-1 ?
The only thing I can find is that the top one has PH and high PH, where the bottem on has only high PH. What does that mean?