Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #1 
DazedBetta

After Breeding Sickness?

so i tried breeding my male and female and ended up seperating them after a few days and decided to give them a break and let my female rest. i removed her and put her in a 2.5 gal tank she was orginally in. it has now been less then a week probly about 4-5ish days since i seperated them and i noticed today that she wasnt looking very good. she is alot more pale then normally and seems to be losing her color her fins are ripped up and when i removed her from the breeding tank her fins were fine and she had no damage except a missing scale on her side but now her fins are jacked up. she isnt very responsive when i go to her tank when normally shes all happy to see me. now she just sits in the middle of the tank and there were a cople times i thought she was dead she is also bloated a little bit... i am really confused and worried and dont know what to do or whats going on.

Housing
What size is your tank?2.5gal
What temperature is your tank?78-80 mainly sticks at 79
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pelets and frozen brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish?2 times a day randomly switching it up between pellets and brine shrimp

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 90ish not sure excat but its around that
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
i dont test it
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? becoming pale losing color showing stress stripes and fins getting tore along with bloating
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not as active as normal
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today about 12 hours ago during morning feeding
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?no not sure whatto do or whats wrong
Does your fish have any history of being ill? first time being sick
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure got her about a month and a half ish at petco
DazedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and get her in an Epsom salt 2tsp/gal treatment and if you have tannins this will help too...along with 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days

I would QT in a small container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-77F range and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ
She needs to be kept so she can't see any other fish, dim lights, quite location

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water..Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried oak leaf and use this water for the 100% daily water changes in the Qt container for 10-14 days

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals......

Do you know her age....sometimes females can die after spawning if-pre conditioning and after care are not carried out properly...especially if it was really stressful or she was old and/or compromised to start...

I see you don't use additives...are you on well water or what kind of source water is used that you don't need dechlorinator....

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #3 
DazedBetta

i only have 1 tank smaller then the 2.5 its the .7 the petstore gave me along with the fish would i be able to use that tank? her age im not excat on i got her from petco and ive had her for about a month anf a halfish maybe close to 2months but idk how long she was in the pet store... and my work has dechlorinated water so i just get those for free and use them on my fish
Old 07-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

That will work fine for a temporary QT container....it sounds like you need to start gathering more supplies since you plan to breed...

What make the water at work dechlorinated....not all filtration units filtering system are good for fish overall long term health...is it a well, RO unit etc.....depending on the type it may just change one Ion for another that is worse for the fish and if it is not properly maintained you risk health issues/problems for the fish especially if it is compromised already.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #5 
DazedBetta

a guy at work has some big tank at his house and uses the shop to store his water and said that i could take a few gal whenever i need it. heuses some tablet to do soi cant remember the name of them atm but ill try and get a hold of him and ask him and figure it out for sure... what other supplys should i be gathering?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #6 
DazedBetta

shes starting to pull around now still a bit bloated most of her color came back and her stress stripes seem to be fading the only thing is her fins are still messed up just curious on how long on adverage it takes for fin damage to recover?