Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #11 
Sakura8

:( If it's been a while since you were able to change the water and it was in a bad state when you got home, I'm thinking ammonia poisoning got him. He's not as hardy as Sparky is. When you get water conditioner, which should be ASAP, I definitely suggest API Stress Coat. I'm sorry you lost Floaty, but now we need to do everything we can to make sure Sparky stays healthy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #12 
bettaloverforever16

Thanks (: I guess I have to go back to petco anyway to get a new fish, we're gonig out tomorrow anyway. This will be my new start to better caring :D I'm starting to get over the loss. I think I'll get a female. My mom stilll doesn't know XD

How do I get rid of him? Will it hurt the water system if I flush him? Does amonia poisining cause raised gills, and floating liek an arrow?
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #13 
Sakura8

You can bury him or wrap him in newspaper and put him in the trash. I bury all my dead fish under my weeping cherry tree. A female would be cute next to ol' Sparky.

The ammonia poisoning could cause him to float like that or, depending on when he died, rigor mortis could also be why he was floating like an arrow. The ammonia poisoning probably did cause the gills to be raised, though, and rigor mortis set them like that. I don't think he suffered though.

Keep up with the water changes and you should be fine. Post pics if you get a new betta.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #14 
bettaloverforever16

I will :) He was alive when we got back, floating liek that. I thought he was dead, so I poked him. It was so sad seeing him swim like that. When I woke up he was gone. But when he was dead he was just floating at the bottom of the tank. The sad thing is, it's oine of those tanks that float in the wall. I know. Horrible. But I can't get anything else.

Now allowed to bury him, we live in a rented house. But I'll probaubly do the second option.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Yup, ammonia poisoning and dropsy can make them float like that. :( My one girl I rescued from Wal-Mart was standing on her tail in her little cup. She didn't make it, so I think it's a sign that the end is near.

Well, as long as you change the water every day in the tank, it shouldn't matter. If that's all you can get, then that's all you can get. It's better than a little cup. but if you ever can upgrade him to a regular tank, I'd definitely, definitely recommend that. You can get a 1 gallon kritter keeper and put it on your desk or wherever and Sparky would be very happy in it.

What you can do is mix up dechlorinated water and store it in a jug or bucket so it's always ready. Then every day, all you have to do is scoop out maybe 75% of water in the tank and add in the new water.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:04 AM   #16 
bettaloverforever16

Oh that's the case, Sparky's in a 1.5 gallon tank, Floaty was in that tank :)

Yeah, might just fill up an old milk jug or something. I'll see if I can get a new bowl or somthing tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #17 
Sakura8

Yeah, you can get pretty nice-looking 2 gallon drum bowls that you should be able to heat well with something like the Zoo Med Betta Therm heater. You just might need to cover it so Sparky can't jump out. Good luck at the pet store.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #18 
bettaloverforever16

Lol the new betta would go in the bowl, not Sparks XD Sparky likrd hid tank

Still trying ot figure out how to get rid of Floaty
Old 07-26-2011, 01:35 AM   #19 
Indyfishy

If you can't bury him, the best way is to wrap him up and put him in the trash =/ I'm sorry to hear about Floaty, I lost my Finley today too.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #20 
bettaloverforever16

So sorry to hear about Finley :(

Do you know what I could wrap him up in?