Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #31 
Sakura8

Was he really thin and did he stop eating? The only way to really tell if he had fish TB is to take him into a vet and have them do an autopsy but I imagine that would be kind of expensive.

Like so thin his stomach was hollow looking.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:42 AM   #32 
Sakura8

Here is a pic of guppies with fish TB.

The only real danger of contamination if he had fish TB is getting fish keeper's granuloma, which is when the bacteria enters an open wound on the aquarist's hand and causes a skin infection. It is not life-threatening to humans.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #33 
LittleBettaFish

I think it's safe to say that Floaty passed due to poor water quality rather than TB. Ammonia is a corrosive, and damages the gills and scales of a fish. It can also do irreversible damage in only trace amounts, so it is very important you do regular water changes to ensure it is not present in your aquarium.

Fluctuating temperatures can also compromise your betta's health and leave him suspectible to disease. In smaller bodies of water, temperature swings often occur very suddenly, and this is why it's important you have a heater to maintain a consistent temperature.

I would probably recommend not purchasing another betta until you are absolutely certain you can provide it with a reasonable level of care. Running out of water conditioner and allowing your water quality to degrade to such a level, is still cruel even if it was unintentional. You wouldn't let a puppy wallow in its own filth, and this is essentially what is happening to your fish when you slack off on water changes.

Also just wrapping your fish in a plastic bag and putting it in the bin is fine. I usually just throw my dead fish out into our outside bin. You won't catch anything from them, and they usually decompose pretty quickly anyway.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:17 AM   #34 
bettaloverforever16

I just lost one of my closest friends, and you're yelling at me. There was nothing else I could do, and if you don't understand that, then don't post here at all. That's unsentive and just plain rude.
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #35 
bettaloverforever16

I don't think had TB by the way
Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 AM   #36 
LittleBettaFish

I'm not yelling at you, nor was I being insensitive. I am sorry to hear that you lost your friend, but you posted here stating your betta had passed away and went into detail about how deplorable the conditions were that it was living in, and I offered my opinion on the matter.

I suffer with anxiety issues and some days it's a challenge to even get out of bed without breaking down. However, even when I feel like curling up in a hole somewhere and dying, I still make myself go and look after my fish. They didn't ask to be owned by me, and it's my responsibility to ensure that their needs come before my own. It's the same as owning any pet. Just because they are easier to ignore than a dog or cat, doesn't mean they deserve to be neglected.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #37 
bettaloverforever16

I cna
t drive, and my mom was feeling sick, and my brother ahd a baseball tourney two hours away. I normaly take care of my fish, but this time I couldn't. Like I said before, if you can't understand that, then please don't post here. Right after a pet dies I don't need someone telling me not to get another. Cause now i have the supplies, and I can.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #38 
TheCrysCat

How big was this bowl? The only wall-mounted ones I've seen are less than a gallon. I wouldn't get another fish unless I was able to get at least a gallon.

And I *do* understand losing a fish and not being able to get another. In my case, I have two tanks lying around, but I know once school starts I probably won't have time to take care of more fish. The guy I lost was one of my first, and I was completely devastated when he died.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #39 
Indyfishy

Cryscat is right, if you're going to get a new fish you need to get a new tank/bowl. Those wall tanks are cruel and very dangerous, they can get knocked off the wall so easily. You can get kritter keepers at walmart for less than $10. Whatever you get, it doesnt have to be fancy. If you do get a new fish, make sure you make the proper amount of water changes to prevent him/her getting sick like Floaty did. Good luck!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #40 
bettaloverforever16

Yeah, I was looking online for some bowls or something. But the thing is we rent the house, and we had to drill a hole in the wall to put it up. Any ideas about that>